NEMA0183 connection from MFD to VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I looking for help on making the connections between my new ICOM VHF and my MFD and wondering how everyone else is doing it and the right way to do it. The ICOM VHF has a NEMA in and a NEMA out connection with a white and a red wire for each. It appears that the shielding is the negative and the twisted core is the positive for each of the white and red wires. Am I supposed to just twist the shielding of the wire and crimp it to a wire leading to the negative MFD NEMA connections? It would seem that there would be some connector to do this - and they wonder why so many people don't have their VHF's hoofed up to some GPS signal.

Background: new ICOM VHF, Raymarine e7 Chartplotter (MFD) a year old, and a Raymarine AIS a year old. BTW; I asked Raymarine and they prefer that the VHF is hooked up to the MFD in lieu of the AIS directly with the NEMA conections.

thanks in advance!

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Its possible that the manual for your Icom will indicate which wires would be connected between the nmea "out" and the Nmea "in" on the radio. I wired my Icom to the output from my C70 and it fairly straight forward. If for some reason you don't have the manual, check the icom website.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Well you lost me with the shielded wires. Usually there is a shield around the wire bundle and not one on each wire. I clearly am not getting it.
the hook up is pretty simple though if you have plastic around the individual wires.
NMEA out to NMEA in
and
NMEA in to NMEA out

The colors will NOT match so don't worry about that. You should connect the shield "foil" on each if that is possible to reduce interference but it should work without the shields. Try clamping the wires with vice grips for a temp connection to get it working first then 'go final' and rig up the connectors. I'd put the males on the in and female on the out to make reconnecting easier if you pull the unit for some reason.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Bill,

The manual for the ICOM model IC-M504A (manual page 56) indicates the outer conductor is the neg and the inner conductor is the positive. The outer conductor looks just like shielding.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Bill,

The manual for the ICOM model IC-M504A (manual page 56) indicates the outer conductor is the neg and the inner conductor is the positive. The outer conductor looks just like shielding.

Neal,

I really HATE the way ICOM does that. Probably why I install so many Standard Horizon units these days..:doh:

As for the shield check out this article. It shows you how to unlay the braid and terminate it..

ST-60 With Old Transducer

Not tricky stuff but tedious...........

BTW thank you very much for the donation!!!!! Always appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.