Neil Pryde Sails Question

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
How many Oday Owners are still flying Neil Pryde Sails? The reason I ask is I am the guy that makes all the boat company tees and was thinking about making a Tee like this one since my boat still has Neil Pryde Sails. Give me your thoughts. I already received permission, but not sure how many owners are still flying these. The Pryde group is doing more Windsurfing stuff. I would put each Oday like the one I did for my 272.
Thanks for your input.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Well, they are pretty worn-out.... but I still have the original Factory-supplied Neil-Pryde sails on my boat. The way my finances look, when I replace those sails I will most likely go to D&R Marine to order new ones through Rudy.... and he sells the OEM-level sails made by Neil Pryde (I think they are still slightly better than the originals though!).

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
It's funny out here on the West Coast seems like North, Ullman and Doyle have a stranglehold on the market.

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
I am still using the original NP jib, with a reconditioned UV cover. My main was pretty blown out, though, so I replaced that last season.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Well, they are pretty worn-out.... but I still have the original Factory-supplied Neil-Pryde sails on my boat. The way my finances look, when I replace those sails I will most likely go to D&R Marine to order new ones through Rudy.... and he sells the OEM-level sails made by Neil Pryde (I think they are still slightly better than the originals though!).
I do not have the original sails.
But if you do, and you are buying new...
Consider the deals right here! I got a Doyle headsail through this site last year, and it is great. I got a good price. It works great on the furler. My main was fairly new when I bought the boat.
Nice shirt design!

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I'm still using the original mainsail and 110. I added a suncover to the 110 to use it on my rolling furling. In my opinion they made great sails that are very durable. I'd buy from them again, but now I typically use sailrite kits for any new sails and sew them myself to save money.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I still have the the Neil Pryde sails. The UV cover was replaced on my headsail. There actually in pretty good shape.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Spooled Again said:
I still have the the Neil Pryde sails. The UV cover was replaced on my headsail. There actually in pretty good shape.
My take on Neil Pryde is they make a sail that is tailored made for longevity. Many of the Odays with Pryde sails are still being used.

With all that said I am going to produce a Tee and Hoodie with that design.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
Although I still have the originals in my basement, I replaced my Neil Pryde sails about 10 years ago with sails from a local loft.

Nov 5, 2010
Oday 23 Stonington, CT
No. O.E NP sails were really cheap quality, and my 1978 sails were shot. I have recently used Precision Sails, Vancouver, Canada, for a new Main, 140 genny, 110, and spinnaker. Lots of cloth and price choices with good consultation, and very good prices, cheapest cruise to top tier race. Precisionsails.com tell them I referred you, not that I get anything...

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
There really is no way to beat using a local sail maker, they will tailor the sails to your needs and if anything goes wrong or an adjustment is needed. they will be there for you. The OEM sails that were supplied by Neil Pryde for most O'DAYs were generic, cookie-cutter, off-the-shelf sails, O'DAY ordered them in bulk, to save $$ I'm sure. Buying from my local loft would be money well spent if I had a larger boat.
If I had the money, I would not even consider buying the OEM grade sails from D&R.... but the local sailmaker where I would prefer to go to for new sails would cost more than what my boat is worth (main & jib $2,100 vs $825 from D&R). Since I live less than 45 minutes from D&R Marine, the savings on shipping costs over the sails sold here on www.SailboatOwners.com would be a big factor as well.
Are the local-made sails (Harding) worth that cost? OH YES! However, I have a hard time spending $2,100 on sails for a boat that I paid $1400 for including trailer and with a "blue book" value of $1600 or less.
The OEM level sails from D&R (Neil Pryde) will outlast my ownership of the boat based on how long the originals held up although I am about 10+ years overdue to replace them. If I were buying a new Day Sailer, that $2,100 would be a small cost compared to the $17,300.00 base price of the new boats (admittedly, far better quality than my O'DAY).
If I had a bigger O'DAY, and if I could afford new, local made sails.... the price from a local loft would be easier to justify as well.

Dec 28, 2015
O'DAY 322 Bridgeport CT
My 1988 322 still sails with the original NP sails. They are both showing stretch and sun damage but still working well. I have been to the offices of NP in Bridgeport CT and they were teriffic to work with. I have quotes in hand now for new sails which would be made to current standards rather than 1988 style and methods. They took the time to explain all this to me and examined my sails with me. I believe they still provide sails to Bennetau America. If I can swing the budget I'll buy their sails again.