Need to replace Headsail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2009
2005 catalina 310 gig harbor, Wa
Hello all, I find that I need to replace the headsail which is a stock 135%. Was wondering if thats what everyone is happy with. I was wondering if anyone has went to a 150%. Also where should I buy. Local or internet. Thanks in advance.

May 17, 2010
Catalina 36 Gig Harbor
Hi truckman
You might try Nate Merrill at North Sails Direct back east. nate@direct.northsails.com
He was very responsive on the phone and with emails, unlike some of his cohorts back there. If you deal with North locally, they have to charge sales tax, which the outfit back east has a way to avoid. Shipping was something like $20.
We had him build a no frills 120 genoa with rope luff (North's better idea over foam) and the price was very competitive with the "off the shelf" internet sellers, and for a custom designed sail no less. It is on a Harken furler and we are very happy with it.
IMHO, and I know I'm about to get blasted, I am not a big fan of a 150 on the 310. I have no interest in racing or putting the lee rail under. Had a 155 on a Catalina 36 and even with a double reefed main, it was a handful over 15 kts. I don't like charging around with a partially furled headsail, trying to find the right place for the sheet leads, and I don't think it's good for the sail, but that's just me. I also feel that the single reef point on the C310's main doesn't reduce the heeling moment as much as I've experienced on other boats. With a single reef and a 150, I think you'll be partially furling the genoa in a breeze unless the attached picture is your idea of a good time.
I'm sure you'll get alternative opinions to justify your lust for a bigger is better, size matters, sail.
Best of luck.
Jack
Often wrong, but never in doubt

Attachments

Jun 30, 2010
Catalina 310 Bristol RI
One issue on size of the sail is how much wind you usually get in your area. In Narragansett Bay, RI we often get 10 to 15 knots in the afternoon with gust to 20 on a hot summer day and that is more than enough for the 135.

My previous boat was a Sabre 30 with a 155 and that was a pain because we always were furling it, and readjusting the cars in the afternoon winds. It is also a lot harder to see around the 155, and if you are always looking out for lobster pots like me, that is an issue.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Check Dirk out, Mainsail recommended them.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding new sails for your Catalina 310 (I = 42.75, J = 11.75, P = 37.25, E = 13). Based on these rig dimensions, pricing is as follows:

Mast furling mainsail - 7oz dacron, Sunbrella UV on clew (choice of color), 50mm clew block installed, luff tape to suit existing furling system - $1,290

135% roller furling genoa - 7oz dacron, Sunbrella UV protection on leech and clew (choice of color), luff tape to suit existing furling system - $1,379

Sail comes standard with leech line with clam cleats, tell tales, flo-stripes and sail bags. Construction includes triple-stitched seams, large corner reinforcements, with handsewn leather chafe protection.

Current delivery time is 3 to 5 weeks from confirmation of order.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you would like to discuss further details.

Good sailing,
Dirk Sharland
National Sail Supply, LLC (Rolly Tasker Sails, Florida)
26092 Withrow Rd
Brooksville, FL 34601
1-800-611-3823
fax 813-200-1385
from outside of US 352-540-9101 www.nationalsail.com

Or maybe Mack Sails, have a buddy that running a pair on a C34 that was very pleased with them.

7.62 oz HA Dacron roller main with clew block and cover $1567
6.77 oz Marblehead Dacron 135% miter cut genoa with Sunbrella cover and luff foam $2124
Package Price $3500

Thank you for your interest in Mack Sails. We manufacture the highest quality performance cruising sails, all made in our 6000 sq ft Stuart, FL. loft with only the finest American made Dacrons. Please see our "Sailcloth" and "Standard Features" sections on macksails.com for more details, then give me a call at (800)-428-1384 to discuss this quotation.

Looking foward to hearing from you.

Travis Blain

Mack Sails

Jun 7, 2004
- - San Francisco
It really does depend on your conditions. In San Francisco bay, I use a North 105% during the summer which usually has 20+ knots most days and a North 125% in the winter where winds are anywhere from calm to 20 knots except during storms. I find the 125% to be too much sail over 20 knots and the 125% adequate in all but the calmest conditions.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I agree. We run our 85% jib during the summer with what I call our "April to September" single reef in the main. We run our 110% jib in the winter, and in fact we just put it on yesterday. All depends on where you sail, but after all these years, the discussions usually center on two things that help determine sail size: 1) racing vs. cruising and 2) ability to see forward (high cut or deck sweeper). The racers get bigger jibs and deck sweepers. I raced regularly (now only occasionally) with our 110% and have been reasonably successful against competition with 130s, the largest jibs allowed here on San Francisco Bay in our one-design racing fleet. My personal opinion: huge headsails are more of a pain than they're worth.

If you only have one reef in your main, you might want to carefully check out where it is. We do have two reefs in our main, but have only used it twice in almost 15 years, and once for practice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.