Need to fold a large sail by yourself?

Jan 6, 2010
Wienie,

How have you been pal?

Are you speaking about using the grips when flaking your sail or, folding it for a sail bag?
If speaking about flaking, I've used a technique while sailing that works fine single-handed. I don't believe you mean to use these for flaking but if interested, let me know & I'll tell you what I do.

CR

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I use my foot. Takes twice as long to do it myself than with a helper. :)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Why would I wear a nipple clamp while I'm folding my sail?!?!
Oh no you didn't!!!!!
Or
Don't knock it till you try it.
Or
Why would you take it off just to fold your sail?

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Wienie,

How have you been pal?

Are you speaking about using the grips when flaking your sail or, folding it for a sail bag?
If speaking about flaking, I've used a technique while sailing that works fine single-handed. I don't believe you mean to use these for flaking but if interested, let me know & I'll tell you what I do.

CR
Doing well, thanks.
Folding it to put in the bag of course.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
You sick bastard.
Actually...they are giant roach clips. I roll em really big...like cheech and chong big. Heheheh

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
What do you use the clamp for? Are you talking about folding the sail on the foredeck, or off the boat... on the dock for instance.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Deck, dock, living room floor... whatever.
I happened to have one of those clamps handy ( I use it to hold the hose in the antifreeze bucket during winterizing).
My sail folding\flaking skills leave much to be desired.
The clips keep one side together while you walk across to the other side to complete the fold.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
you know things often goes missing when left on floor, decks, dock. Clip those clamps on your good self and you have it with you all the time..best place infront of you...

Jan 6, 2010
Wienie,
Dude, you got to get a sense of humor pal, your roach clip post had me laughing.

Try this method, it works for my 150. I lay the sail flat on the ground. I start at the foot &
grab the luff about two feet up. I hold the fold & pull it down even with the foot. If you have a helper,
they can do the same from opposite leach edge. If not having help, you can do it by yourself. I repeat this flaking style until the end.
Then you only need fold it to fit your bag. Clips are an unnecessary overkill.

Try it & see what you think pal.

CR