Need some THINGS and HELP !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2009
Lancer 25 MK 4? still searching this Trailer sailer,,, Louisville
Where to start, I recently acquired a Lancer 25 MK IV, ( according to the sail bags and what little information I can find on the boat) ... And I guess the best place to start is from my uploaded photos. As I am new to sailing, the Bow piece that is busted on in the pictures, where can I find a new one, it covers the corner edge of the bow and connects to the toe rail...

Next, as you look at the pictures I believe I can epoxy and fiberglass the area that is to be covered by the piece that is broken ,, Is this right?

And lastly, the damage to the bow that is near the water line, I am thinking grinding and placing new fiberglass and resin/epoxy into this area and fixing it that way, is this correct or not, as the area is still solid and is not a fracture in the structure nor is it a hole in any way in the bow...

I would like to to go ahead and say thank you to any and all who assist me in this endeavor..
-- The photos are of the port and starboard sides to show respectively the damaged piece I am looking to replace....

Rod....

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Fiberglass Repair

Good afternoon Rod. I'd begin by reading Don Casey's book "This Old Boat," which I believe he recently updated. I have another good reference book, which is currently on loan, and I'll post the author and title ASAP.

I bought a Lancer 25 (mast head rig) in March and am about two weeks from getting her wet. Her last registration was from 2001 so I've been taking my time going through her. I previously posted photos of my new bottom paint. Steve

Novelman...my plan is to take HDD to San Diego the first weekend in August with Lee and Trudy. The Venture Yacht Club is having a get together and if all goes well I'll be sleeping on my own vs OPBs. Steve

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Info

My old L25 was missing all of those "caps" at the bow and stern. First of all you need to reconnect the deck to the hull. You can either use 3M 5200 or just fiberglass the deck to the hull. Be sure to use some biaxial cloth over it if you go that route. As far as repairing it. It looks like fiberglass. You can either make a mold of the straight section on the other side to mold a new piece or try to find some flexible molding at tacomarine or similar that will work for you.

I found a primer on molding below.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-methods-for-molding-fiberglass-and-carbon-f/

I also found a site which sells something called "Mold Maker Super Elasti-clay."

http://www.sunshinecrafts.com/dept_view.php?DPath=CLAY~MMPOW&Page=1

So you just form the clay on the other side, take it off, bake it and voila...a mold. Then you follow the instructions above to make the fiberglass part. You will then have to do some fiberglass work to join them. It might prove easier to just build an entire new one from scratch using the old one.

Taco Marine will be far easier though making that bend will be tough.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Don Casey also covers molding your own parts in the book.

Just a word of caution...having been down this road myself...make a list of projects and prioritize them. Top priority is any task that prevents the boat from SINKING. Next is safety issues. Next is anything that needs to be done to start sailing. Cosmetics like the bow cap are way down the list.

I never got to mine. It wasn't quite as bad. The 5200 was still intact. So, just glue it for now (its not water tight, therefore falling under prevention from sinking, and then move on.

Word to the wise. The cockpit drains on the L25 are pretty inadequate. Cockpit drains are also a top priority as they too fall under sinking.

Good luck with the boat. Nice trailer.

Jul 19, 2009
Thank you all!!!! The advice and experience you all have shared with me is invaluable , and therefore much appreciated..... So what can one do about the poor drainage in the cockpit?... and by the way, where is the bilge supposed to be located? I found access to the weight in the keel in the floor, should it be there? ... Thanks again ...
Rod

Jul 19, 2009
By the way, the bow cap is aluminum .... like the toe rail.... thanks again....
EDITED : I realize now after taking another look that the bow cap is indeed fiberglass... I stand corrected... It is just painted to match.... "Good eye" to you.... my mistake....
Rod

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2009
The trailer is a single axle, perhaps the original that came with the boat? ,, needs a little love, but not near as much as the boat.... I appreciate everyone's assistance
Rod

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good afternoon Rod. In my opinion...the Lancer 25 is a lot of weight for a single axial. I have friends with a Mac 25 and they added a second axial after having tire problems. They added the second axial and no more tire problems. Steve

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Rod, here are two photos of my bilge (1979 L25). The photos are taken looking aft and access is forward of the companionway. I'm moving my bilge pump aft and behind the access panel I made so I can store six bottles of wine and a dozen or so eggs.

Note that on Novelman's 1975 L25 his bilge access is through the step while mine is below the cabin sole. Steve

Attachments

Jul 19, 2009
Any idea what the weight is? I appreciate the info on the trailer axle capabilities, I will definitely put that on my list... thank you

Jul 19, 2009
I guess I forgot to mention mine is a '77 lancer 25 I think MK IV but not sure on that spec. I believe I have the bilge in the right area then , under the bottom step looking aft. There is the odd access panel to the keel weights as you look forward past the mast/table area, where the step up is to go to the bow storage/head area. any ideas what that is for or about, is it supposed to be sealed tight? it just had a fiber board covering it, then again the prior owner had carpeted the entire interior, which I have had to remove due to water and ice damage and not to mention lack of water flow to the bilge.
Thanks again ..
Rod...... I believe I will soon be starting my list of to do's and willpost it on her this weekend.... I truly appreciate all of your assistance

Last edited:

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Dry weight of an L25 is about 3500lbs, but most have been soaking up water over the years and I'd count on at least 4000lbs for the boat, motor, etc...

The weight of the boat and trailer is probably about 5000lbs. That is big enough to make towing a bit of a challenge. I suggest you find a local trailer fabricator to take a look at it. I have heard a number of people say the original trailer is quite marginal. Radial tires will likely make it worse, as I beleive they have a softer side wall. I'd changed the bearings out and consider new springs. They make springs designed to handle loads better that may be available. A good trailer guy can help you a lot.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Regarding the cockpit drainage. Job # 1 is to replace your hoses with new and double clamp them with good marine stainless clamps. Also, you may need to change out the drain fittings in the cockpit. Be sure that it takes more than a leaf to block them up. Also, leaks around the drain fittings let water into the cockpit sole balsa rotting it out. Pull the fittings, even if they look good, and reseal them. If you are Lake sailing you will probably be fine, but if you hitting the ocean, consider adding an aft drain through the lazarette too.

Jul 19, 2009
reply:

Regarding the cockpit drainage. Job # 1 is to replace your hoses with new and double clamp them with good marine stainless clamps. Also, you may need to change out the drain fittings in the cockpit. Be sure that it takes more than a leaf to block them up. Also, leaks around the drain fittings let water into the cockpit sole balsa rotting it out. Pull the fittings, even if they look good, and reseal them. If you are Lake sailing you will probably be fine, but if you hitting the ocean, consider adding an aft drain through the lazarette too.
I am not sure what the lazarette is, and the largest body of water I would sail would be a great lake, as of now,,, I will definitely look into the drains and clamps and hoses throughout the entire boat before setting it in the water,,, Thank you...

Jul 19, 2009
There is a good trailer guy locally and I appreciate the stats, this lancer has been out of the water for a year now and it will have an outboard soon, no inboard, I will try to post more pics of the dirty thing ( it needs cleaned really bad before I can work on it ) as soon as I can .. thank you for your assistance
Rod

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Lazarette is the aft locker behind the tiller head that allows you to access the outboard well. Some have had that original engine opening glassed up though.

Jul 19, 2009
Lazarette is the aft locker behind the tiller head that allows you to access the outboard well. Some have had that original engine opening glassed up though.
Sorry it took so long to reply, life happens.... anyway, thank you for the definition, and I believe my boat is one of those that has been glassed over since it has the attachment for the outboard that raises and lowers on the exterior of the stern.....
Thanks again for all the help!!

Jul 19, 2009
To update everyone, I have finally started working on the boat, 1st was a decent cleaning to find all the bad spots, ie gel coat and fiberglass damage. Now I will start with the hole from where a cleat was ripped out, more photos will follow ,,, and once again Thank you all for your assistance,,,, I have purchased a 1976 Mercury 7.5 HP 2 stroke motor.
Thanks again ..... By the way Check out the new photo album I posted: rod1029's Albums
Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.