Need some handling suggstions ODay 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Fellow ODay owners,
Need some sugestions. My diesel powered 28 seem to have incredit torque, pulling hard to the port side when in reverse. THis is typical behavior for a diesel inboard, but want to see if anyone has "tamed the beast" of reverse torque.
When backing out of my dock I traditionally untie the dock lines, push the boat off the dock to the center of the well (2-3 feet off the portside dock), turn the wheel hard to starboard, and goose the reverse trottle for a second. The boat response as I would hope, with torque to port being nuturialized by the wheel/rudder to starboard. This works well, once the boat is moving, but unfortunately until the mininum movement is obtained, it still seems to jump 2-3 feet to port before stabilizing. THis means I'm back up against the port side dock I just pushed off of. Any suggestion (it can't be push off 4 feet to the center of the well, my first mate already came up with that one.)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Goose it harder. anytime your boat backs to port means you haven't given it enough throttle and that prop walk is overcoming the lack of water flow over the rudder.

TLW

Jan 15, 2013
Oday 31 Whitehall, MI
I think the secret is to get momentum going first. Slowly back Straight out (with rudder compensation) then shift to neutral and turn wheel to left. When clear, shift into forward and goose it a little to correct course.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Sounds like you've pretty much got the correct actions. When I back into my slip I goose the throttle to get Karma to turn sharply to port to line it up with the slip.

I agree with TLW, get the boat slowly moving in reverse first so that the rudder has some bite before increasing throttle.

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
In reverse, the rudder will work "best /only" when the boat is moving and the transmission in natural. Yes, this will remind you of your teacher telling you to look up the proper spelling of a word knowing you'll need to know the correct spelling to be able to look it up. You did not know it at the time but "Old Wide Bottom" was preparing you for your sailing career.

Now a word from our free enterprise system.

http://www.pyiinc.com/?section=max-prop

and

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/tayl...ount-12.html?gclid=CIO5_r3Ur7kCFWNgMgodEmcAvw

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Show me

:eek:
I think the secret is to get momentum going first. Slowly back Straight out (with rudder compensation) then shift to neutral and turn wheel to left. When clear, shift into forward and goose it a little to correct course.
TLW,
Why don't you just walk over two docks and show me. We are both in Whitehall Landing.

TLW

Jan 15, 2013
Oday 31 Whitehall, MI
Hey Dennis,

I was going to ask this weekend if that was you on this post. Even checked the owners list here looking for a clue. Hope to see you at the lake.

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Interesting answer

OK. What is the significance of the natural. I leave it in reverse an goose it. Wait, I think I just had the answer run in my head. If I leave it in gear, I have left hand torque. If I put it in natural, I have momentum but no pull from the torque. Correct.

In reverse, the rudder will work "best /only" when the boat is moving and the transmission in natural. Yes, this will remind you of your teacher telling you to look up the proper spelling of a word knowing you'll need to know the correct spelling to be able to look it up. You did not know it at the time but "Old Wide Bottom" was preparing you for your sailing career.

Now a word from our free enterprise system.

http://www.pyiinc.com/?section=max-prop

and

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/tayl...ount-12.html?gclid=CIO5_r3Ur7kCFWNgMgodEmcAvw

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
OK. What is the significance of the natural. I leave it in reverse an goose it. Wait, I think I just had the answer run in my head. If I leave it in gear, I have left hand torque. If I put it in natural, I have momentum but no pull from the torque. Correct.

Correct. No prop walk if in neutral.

Even a manual push backwards out of the slip will get some stern way on so the rudder will work without having to use so much throttle to get the boat going.

Status
Not open for further replies.