Need service info for a Nissan 3.5B2 outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Can anyone help me? I have a Nissan 3.5hp outboard with F-N shift for my dinghy. I have a water flow problem and I need a service manual that covers this model. I could order one but it would take a couple of weeks. Does anyone have a manual that they could email me a couple of pages or copy the section on just this motor? I have a known good impeller but just a few drops coming from the output hose under the powerhead. No input blockage to the water pump either. If I connect a hose to the tube leading to the powerhead from the waterpump I get a shower of water coming down the inside of the leg and just a dribble out of the outlet hose. I suspect a bad connection into the powerhead, but don't have the drawings to see how the water is connected to the powerhead. I hate to disassemble more than necessary. Anyone??

JohnF

Jun 4, 2004
- - Annapolis
Maybe need to clear it?

I have an older 3.5 Tohatsu ( Nissan ). If this is a problem since your winter storage,try this. Engine not running - run some wire ( I used picture hanging wire ) trought the output fitting ( pee hole ) and into the engine a good bit in there. Since you know water is getting from the pump up to the head, you don't need to put the wire in very far. Maybe a foot. Pull it out and I'm sure there will be all sorts of gook. Now start it up and see if the water is flowing. Repeat a few times if necessary. If it's not that, may be the gaskets in which case you need to take it all apart. JF

Jun 14, 2004
C&C 43' Landfall Niceville, FL
Online Manuals

You can download manual from this site: http://www.nissanmarine.com/tech_talk/owners_manuals.html

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I need a service manual, not an owner's manual

Thanks for the input, but I need a service manual that shows exploed views and gives some info on how things go together and come apart. Nissan doesn't have any on-line service manuals, only owner's booklets. Rich

May 14, 2004
Catalina Capri 22 Town Creek, MD
How old is the motor?

If it is relatively recent (1990 or later), you should be able to go to a West Marine or Boater's World and pick up a Clymer service manual. I also just did some work to a Nissan. Mine is an '87 5-horse model, and couldn't find a manual specific to mine, but the manuals for the slightly newer models did at least give me a pretty good idea of what to expect when I took mine apart. I wish I could give you some tips on your problem, but mine just needed an impellor, so I only took apart the pump, and never went near the powerhead.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Thanks, Ben. My problem turned out to be...

a bit of an old impeller that was blocking the rubber output tube from the block. I cleared that and now have full flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.