Need Replacement Ignition key for C310

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 Tolchester
I broke the ignition key for my C310 and have only the key ring end now. This end has the Cole Hersee Boston name and the number CH502 stamped on the opposite side. With this information is there a way to have a new key made or do I buy a new switch? Thanks Bob

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
take it to a locksmith and see if they can make a duplicate....some times its just as cheap to replace the switch ...which comes with two new keys

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If you can get the broken piece out a good key maker can copy it. I took one to my local Ace Hardware and they were able to do it. I took the whole switch out (I was going to rewire the panel anyway) so they could try the key. Took three tries to get one that worked but they only charged for the one key. I love those guys. A real locksmith maybe could get it on one try but it would cost more than a new switch.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I took my switch to a locksmith and they were able to get out the broken piece and cut new keys from broken end for $8.50.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 2005 36 MK II (1656) Lake Texoma
Hello,

If all else fails, I just replaced my entire instrument panel. (2005 310 hull 299 - Universal diesel) I am happy to give you the ignition switch and key. Yours for the cost of mailing. Going to the boat this weekend. So it will be next Monday before I can mail it out.

Just let me know if you need it.
Jay Acquaviva
s/v Doctor's Orders
Cedar Mills, Lake Texoma

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 Tolchester
Thank you for your more than kind offer. But this is what sailors always do. I purchased a new switch with for $26.00.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Where did you get the switch from?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
That was a wise choice getting a new switch...........

paulj
:hook2:

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 Tolchester
And if I ever find where find I left the spare set of keys I'll have a replacement switch with Key. Does anyone else forget where they put stuff?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
And if I ever find where find I left the spare set of keys I'll have a replacement switch with Key. Does anyone else forget where they put stuff?
First thing I did when I bought the boat was have three sets of keys made (engine, hatches, dock box):
- The first is the one we use.
- The second we keep on the boat in case we drop the first overboard
- The third lives at home as the back-up.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Might help to leave one in your car. Bummer to have to drive all the way home if you drop them going from the car to the boat. :)

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Stu,
For most folks, I think that is excellent advice. In my case, it is just under a mile from my driveway to my boat. I sometimes walk so as to avoid the occasionally congested parking lot at the marina.
Living in paradise has its perks!

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Kind of late to the conversation, but I found that key online. Bought several as backups.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Sorry to be late to this post but it came up when I didn't have good internet access.

We have used and carry a spare replacement switch from Sea Dog. Its only $13.70.

We also have used and carry a spare start button. Only $6 for the button. We had the button fail on the in position before. That means after the motor was started the failed button kept the starter engaged and could have ruined the starter.

Fair winds,

Jesse