Need references for obtaining boat insurance for a Catalina 36.

Jan 8, 2021
Catalina 36 Ventura
Does anyone have a good reference for boat insurance for a Catalina 36? We want to move it to a more cost effective marina than it's current location in Ventura, CA. We are having trouble finding boat insurance. Any thoughts on where to start?

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Progressive will insure sight unseen geico boat us. formost want a survey

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
  1. Progressive will insure sight unseen geico boat us.
  2. formost want a survey
My experience I first had insurance with Formost. They wanted a copy of my boat survey. It was 2 years old. They accepted it and offered me insurance. 2 years later...Formost, stopped insuring sail boats in the NW.

Geico wanted what they described as an owner survey. You complete their boat form. The underwriter reviews the form and you receive an offer of coverage or not.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Does anyone have a good reference for boat insurance for a Catalina 36? We want to move it to a more cost effective marina than it's current location in Ventura, CA. We are having trouble finding boat insurance. Any thoughts on where to start?
I've used BoatUS for many years and have been pleased with their service and the cost.

I am a little curious why you have a boat and don't have insurance, especially liability insurance which is what most marinas require.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have commented about this before in another thread, sorry if its a repeat. I have my boat insured on an inland marine policy through the same company that insures everything else that I own. The policy cost is quite reasonable. When my boat became 10 years old, they required a survey. Now, at age 15, they are requesting another survey.
The biggest problem for me is where do I find a surveyor who does sailboats in Northern Michigan?
( Never mind the fact that the boat is on the hard, shrink wrapped, in a locked yard, and quite possibly snow covered, and I am a thousand miles from it. Oh, and they never informed me that they needed the survey until after the boat was already laid up!)

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I have used BoatUS, Markley and Chubb who are major boat insurers. For the last 2 you will have to get the insurance through an insurance broker. The latter is the most competitive for my 2005 Hunter 46 sailboat and 1984 Symbol 44 sundeck motorboat.

Jan 8, 2021
Catalina 36 Ventura
Wow. All you guys are great. This is the type of information I needed to get started. I appreciate all the good feedback. As we all know, owning a sailboat is all about the journey and the wisdom shared by others along the way. Thanks.