Need O'Day 23 trailer specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2011
Tartan 37 Upper Marlboro, MD
I am getting an O'Day 23 this weekend, no trailer. Want to bring it home for working on this winter. I would like to know what I'll need to do that. Would be great to get pictures of an O'Day 23' on a trailer with the measurements. I've seen a couple of trailers on Craigslist. I'm thinking I'll have to modify a trailer to fit.

Aug 30, 2009
Oday 23 Angostura
CapnRehab, give me a couple days. I have the EZ Loader catalog that I got when I bought my 23. I'm sure it has specs as well as model numbers and photos. I'll have to get up into the boat to get the info.
Mike

Oct 31, 2011
CapnRehab, give me a couple days. I have the EZ Loader catalog that I got when I bought my 23. I'm sure it has specs as well as model numbers and photos. I'll have to get up into the boat to get the info.
Mike
Thanks! Took possession of my '23 yesterday. Wow, lots of work to be done. Need that trailer to bring her home. :)

Attachments

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Oday 23 Manhasset Bay, LI
That's a pop top! What's the class number. (It's on the brass plaque at the rear of the cockpit.)

Oct 31, 2011
That's a pop top! What's the class number. (It's on the brass plaque at the rear of the cockpit.)
Yep, it's a '72 pop top. I'm expecting to get back to the marina Sunday. I'll see if I can get it then. Any pictures of the bottom of your boat would be appreciated.

Aug 30, 2009
Oday 23 Angostura
Capn Rehab, The trailer catalog didnt have as much information as Id hoped for but here is what I did learn. My trailer is an EZ Loader model 20TSD, 20 ft., tandem axle, with surge brakes, 32 rollers for the hull and 2 keel rollers, for boats 21 to 24 ft long. Load capacity is 4500 lbs and gross weight is 5390 lbs. Tire size was G78-14 from the factory. I noticed on my boat that the keel is centered over the 2 axles and the stern overhangs the end of the trailer about 4 ft. I would estimate the tongue weight at about 50 to 60 lbs. If there is anything else I can help with, let me know.
Mike

Oct 31, 2011
Capn Rehab, The trailer catalog didnt have as much information as Id hoped for but here is what I did learn. My trailer is an EZ Loader model 20TSD, 20 ft., tandem axle, with surge brakes, 32 rollers for the hull and 2 keel rollers, for boats 21 to 24 ft long. Load capacity is 4500 lbs and gross weight is 5390 lbs. Tire size was G78-14 from the factory. I noticed on my boat that the keel is centered over the 2 axles and the stern overhangs the end of the trailer about 4 ft. I would estimate the tongue weight at about 50 to 60 lbs. If there is anything else I can help with, let me know.
Mike
Thanks for looking that up. I'm not exactly sure how to proceed, but that info is a good start.

Sep 30, 2009
Oday 23 Up Nort'n WI
I'm a little late to this trailer thread. I have a 1978 O'Day 23 in the shed on the trailer. I would be happy to send pictures, measurements, or anything else that would help you.

MikeB

Dec 20, 2011
ODay 23 Bal Harbour
I too have a 78 Oday 23 I purchased in NYC and want to take it to Florida. Do you have trailer specs? Is the keel fixed or swing?

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Herco

I too have a 78 Oday 23 I purchased in NYC and want to take it to Florida. Do you have trailer specs? Is the keel fixed or swing?
- - - - // - - - -

Herco,

You started thread on "Ask ODay Owner" forum. You have had several responses. Now you are here? How about answering questions asked of you on other forum?

Many do not monitor this fourm.

Ed K

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
CaptnRehab,
If your boat has a pop top with a keel stepped mast, you'd be better off getting a regular flat bunk trailer for this boat. It would make no sense to buy a roller trailer for this boat unless it has a hinged mast tabernacle and you plan on trailering it occasionally to other bodies of water. If you plan on putting this boat on a mooring or slip, a bunk trailer would be a wise choice.

My O'Day 222 is a keel/centerboard with a hinged mast tabernacle and I use a tandem flat bunk trailer to get it to the club each year to put on a mooring. This set up works out great for me.

Mar 5, 2012
Oday 23 Tampa, FL
Howdy Folks, Just bought an Oday 23 (swing keel) in Port Charlotte FL. I want to trailer it regularly from my home in Odessa FL. I too need some good dimensions for trailer modifications. Three Dimensions are particularly important to me.
#1 - Distance from Bow to Center of Gravity (center of axles)
#2 - Height and spacing of side bunks in relation to base of keel (2' out and 18" up?)
#3 - Minimum distance bow to ball of trailer (to keep my truck from snorkeling)
Anybody in the Tampa Bay area that could let me measure their trailer?
There is a very nice trailer for sale nearby that would need minimal modifications.
Thanks!

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Gunkh-o-lin, had to say it a couple of times to catch the meaning!
Anyway, what year is your 23? If she is a 1971-74 model with the cast-iron keel and fiberglass centerboard the dimensions will be different from the newer (1977-85) version with the keel molded as part of the hull. The newer version also has a fiberglass centerboard and the lead ballast is inside the keel.

I've added 3 drawings here, to show the 1977-85 model, the 1973-74 pop-top model, and the 1971-72 pop-top. The 1971-72 also came as a fixed-top and that model would look virtually the same as the 1973-74 but without the pop-top. the 1971-72 models also had a notch in the transom to mount the outboard, later models all had a full-height transom and a bracket for the outboard. 1971-72 pop-top models have a keel-stepped mast, all others have a deck-stepped mast.

Attachments

Mar 5, 2012
Oday 23 Tampa, FL
Sunbird, My 23 is a 1980. It matches your line-drawing on the left (two berths aft). I've tried putting a line-drawing into google sketchup to approximate dimensions, but I sure don't want to make a 3000lb mistake when pulling her out! My guess at the three dimensions are
#1: COG - 13' to 14' (from bow)
#2: Bunks at 2' from center and 2'3" height (front and rear, 3" less on center support)
#3: 5' distance bow to ball would be sufficient.

Mar 5, 2012
Oday 23 Tampa, FL
Bump. Just bought an aluminum trailer to modify. Any input on these numbers would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.