Need newe sails

• Thread starter james scott/FANTASEA
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

james scott/FANTASEA

Hi, I recently purchased 30T and quickly realized that everything is in very good shape...Except the sails. Original and very stretched. Any ideas on a "Seidelmann sail maker" and any thoughts on approximate cost of a new 120, 150 and main?

RayK

Aug 17, 2005
Seidelmann 25 Bedford
New sails

James Rob Seidelmann started his life making sails with his father; hence Seidelmann Sails. He went on to design the first 25' Hunter back when they were actually in New Jersey and from their on he evolved in a sailboat maker (with his own sails). Thats the history.. I would try the Air Force sails on the sailboatowners.com site. You can enter your needs online and they will give you a firm quote. Or you might try any of the brand name sailmakers or some local. The sail dimensions don't seem to be a problem as most sailmakers have the Seidelmann lineup in their database.. RayK

P

Paul

Buying new sails

There are all kinds of materials available for sails now, among them, Dacron, which is still a good choice for crusing sails. They are durable, relitivly inexpensive and will provide years of service. If you intend to race the boat you will probably want to look at the newer high tech materials. These will be a combination of materials like mylar, kevlar and or graphite. The advantage to these sails is they are lighter and stronger. Their downside is they can cost up to 50& more than dacron and may have less than 1/3 the life of a dacron sail. When a high tech sail gets blown out it's trash. A blown out dacron sail can be given a little more halyard tension to help compensate for it's loss of shape and flatten it out. Most sailmakers can obtain dimensions for your sails from various sources. Still you should take your own dimensions to give to the sailmaker. Sailmakers have been known to get the wrong information and boat rigs are sometimes modified by previous owners. For the headsail, you should provide The "I" and the "J" dimension. If you have roller furling be sure to also measure the height of the tack point above the deck. You should also provide measurements from the tack point to the front of the genoa track and from the tack point to the rear of the genoa track. This will insure that the clew height will be correct. I once had a sailmaker send me a sail with a clew so high that I would have needed to add two feet to the back of my boat to get the proper sheeting angle. For the main you need to provide the "P" and "B" dimension. Your main sail design choices are full or partial battons and fixed or loose foot. My preference is a loose foot with full battons. The loose foot allows easier sighting of the sail draft and adds a bit of usefull sail to the foot. The full battons give the sail a better shape and allow the roach to be fuller, again providing a bit more sail area. Another advantage to full battons is they help the sail last longer. They do not flog as badly when you are going up wind to raise the sail. I would recommend also that you get 2 sets of reef points in the sail. I am guessing that a new dacron main & 150% genoa will cost about $ 4,000.00. Other information you will need is the size of the bolt rope on the genoa, if it attaches to a head foil and the size of the mast slugs for the main. It's a good idea to take your old sails with you when you if you visit the sailmaker when getting quotes. Get quotes from more than one sailmaker. The best time to buy sail is in the fall or winter months, prices are usually lower.

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
new sails

You might consider used sails from Bacon's http://www.baconsails.com/database/kiosk.php I also seem to remember someone telling me about a great sail purchase from an Asian company. I'll try and look it up. Jim

D

Dave Strojny

New Sails

Hi Scott, I would suggest you go on line to Sailnet.com. Click on the AirForce Sail link, You can then on the spot get a quote for your boat. This is a rough (pre measured) quote but close, plus you can play with the options. You can also try Cruisingdirect.com which is the mass produced (someplace) related to North Sails somehow (at least the add says Manufactured and Serviced by North) I believe you have to request a brochure which explains measuring and calculating the price. Either way I would take this information and use for knowledge, then go to your local sailmaker and have him make sails for you. You will end up taking it in for service probably annually, and it will make life easier to have purchased your sail where it is serviced. I believe there is a North loft close to your boat regardless. It is also nice to have local knowledge in determining the size of the Genoa, Hight of the clew and other stuff. As a bonus, since it is now September, the sailmakers will start offering Winter discounts soon, if not now, if you ask for one. This is usually 15-20%. Someone else recommended Bacon ( in annapolis) I purchased a nice racing sail there, Only downside is you will probably have to have it modified to fit your boat. Have fun Dave

M

Mark Time

Sailnet

Sailnet is out of business and sadly, Air Force Sails went with them. You can get online estimates here by clicking the chandlery tab at the top of the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.