Need new sails...sailmaker recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Keith,

The stanchion nuts for the most part are
up in gunnells... I did not know the cabin
liner went up there... in the bow and stern...
and wet locker...

And for the rest, yes add reinforcement
even where visible. Just have to make
neat and tiddy. So if you were to choose
plywood or wood you would finish first.

From all your previous post, I guess I was
wrong in assuming that you can handle this...

But if you want stainless steel, just make a
plywood template and take to machine shop
and have them make them in stainless steel
or marine bronze.

You are the one who wanted downtime
project, yes? Just leave your wife a note
where to find you sacked out.

Ed K
Addendum: "The quality of a man's life is
in direct proportion to his commitment to
excellence, regardless of his chosen field of
endeavor." by Vince Lombardi
Ah Ed, conversing with you is like trying to make love to a porcupine! You must be a Christian haha.

The 2 bolts of the stanchion bases amidships are through the liner. The liner is curved there and does not lend itself to a backing plate without cutting the liner. In addition, the liner has a space between it and the deck. Being thin, it gives. To do a decent job of backing, I think it should be cut away. Still, it CAN be done, and probably should. Whether or not I can do it is certainly a valid question. I'll venture it will not be as easy as kiss my hand!

I like oak plank soaked in thin epoxy. It is a bit brittle. Plywood is great also. Maybe better if much flexing is required

Sleeping in the vbith is certainly an obstical.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
New Sail status update:

Well, not what I expected. In lieu of new sails I decided to use the boat fund to have the retina in my right eye reattached. Priorities, you know.

I'm sitting at work Wednesday when I developed a blind spot in the corner of my right eye - knowing this was probably the start of a detached retina (not sue how I knew that, but I did) I went to see an eye MD, he sent me to a surgeon and that evening in his office, he (in exchange for a large sum of money) froze closed the holes in my retina and injected an air bubble in my eye that will press on the retina and hold it in place until it heals.

So all looks good as of now (no pun intended) :dance:, I expect to have a full recovery, but sails will have to wait. Always something, eh? :cussing:

Dec 24, 2010
Oday 22 Erie Basin Marina Buffalo, NY
Sorry to hear about your eye Ken. You made the right choice though, new sails won't do you much good if you can't see where your going. Hope you heal up quick.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Sorry about the eye and I hope you're looking at a full recovery and in the future you'll see your way to the new sail.
Rich

Sep 25, 2008
Harpoon 5.2 Honolulu, HI
I have purchased mulltiple sails from The Sail Warehouse and have been happy with them. They are Rolly Tasker brand.

As someone else said, if you aren't racing, why buy new sails? Just keep an eye out on Bacon and ebay for something usable. Especially headsails, since they don't have to be as precisely fitted as mains.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
I bought a used jib last year, it was made by ulman, it's a little worn but well constructed. My main is stretched out and i'd like to at least replace that.

As far as my eye, there were some complications and I needed additional surgery, but I should be fully recovered in 3-4 wks.

My left eye is fine but not the dominant eye, it's really surprisingly difficult to function 100% with only one eye.

However as I was discussing my slow decay due to age with my wife she agreed that if i lost my eye I could wear an eye patch instead of a glass eye and then if I ever lost a leg there would be no fancy prosthetic, just a slab of teak. Maybe with some nice carvings on it.

But it looks like it won't come to that just yet.

Thanks for the thoughts and sail advice!

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
I bought a used jib last year, it was made by ulman, it's a little worn but well constructed. My main is stretched out and i'd like to at least replace that.

As far as my eye, there were some complications and I needed additional surgery, but I should be fully recovered in 3-4 wks.

My left eye is fine but not the dominant eye, it's really surprisingly difficult to function 100% with only one eye.

However as I was discussing my slow decay due to age with my wife she agreed that if i lost my eye I could wear an eye patch instead of a glass eye and then if I ever lost a leg there would be no fancy prosthetic, just a slab of teak. Maybe with some nice carvings on it.

But it looks like it won't come to that just yet.

Thanks for the thoughts and sail advice!
Let's hope not! Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.