Need New Helm Engine Pod Voltmeter

May 22, 2017
Catalina 310 Lake Carlyle
On my 310 the Seaward Helm Pod voltmeter is reading about 2 volts higher than the actual voltage. (I verified this with a VOM at the batteries and on the breaker panel.)
Do I have to use Catalina Direct's replacement voltmeter ,which looks a little different, or does anyone know where I can get an exact replacement? I'm sure someone has had to replace one at sometime. My 310 is a 2000 (Hull #17)
Thanks
Frank Hines
Lake Carlyle, Ill.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
IIRC there is an adjustment screw on the back. But you are not comparing the correct voltage. The engine panel meter is fed from the alternator. So what are you seeing for a reading?

May 22, 2017
Catalina 310 Lake Carlyle
IIRC there is an adjustment screw on the back. But you are not comparing the correct voltage. The engine panel meter is fed from the alternator. So what are you seeing for a reading?
The alternator is connected to the battery and the battery is connected to the breaker control panel and the helm engine pod. There should not be a 2 volt difference between battery and the engine helm pod. The helm voltmeter even reads a 2 volt difference without the engine running so I believe it needs adjusting.
I didn't know there is an adjustment screw on the voltmeter. I'll check it and adjust. Thanks for the info.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I've used Teleflex gauges in the past on other 3 digit Cats, bezels matched, graphics may be different colors than original. Teleflex is now owned by Seastarsolutions and gauges are now Sierra Labeled. Look at the Sierra Amega and Eclipse lines of gauges, if not exact replacements they are at least $25-30 not $50. And may be very similar to the one from CD.
Or impress your friends and install a digital from this site:
https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?8432/Ditigal+Voltmeter+8-32V+DC

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The alternator is connected to the battery and the battery is connected to the breaker control panel and the helm engine pod. There should not be a 2 volt difference between battery and the engine helm pod. The helm voltmeter even reads a 2 volt difference without the engine running so I believe it needs adjusting.
I didn't know there is an adjustment screw on the voltmeter. I'll check it and adjust. Thanks for the info.
The voltmeter is connected to the tachometer. It's getting the direct read from the alternator which should read around 14.1 to 14.4. Unless you have changed the factory setup (like myself and others have done to add a direct connection to the batteries) your alternator is connected to a 10 AWG (undersized) wire that goes to the starter that then goes to the common post on the battery switch and then to the batteries. You will not get near the same reading at the battery or at the switch as you will at the alternator unless your batteries are near 100% SOC. Right now the solar is not outputting since the sun is down and we live on a mooring, no other charge sources. The Victron battery monitor reads 12.53, the voltmeter on the DC panel reads 12.6 and when I turn on the ignition the engine panel reads 12. When I start the engine I get 13.68 on the Victron, 13.7 at the DC panel and 14.2 at the engine panel.

What are you getting for readings?