Need major help with Venture 22 1979!

Jun 17, 2019
Catalina 30 Texas south port
Good Evening,

I hope everyone is doing well. I need some major assistance with a 1979 Venture 22 that i am about to purchase. Too good of a deal to pass up. It does not have any rigging. The anchor is not attached. The tiller is not attached. I do not know how raise the mast nor how to prepare the boat for sailing. I’m not sure what I have to buy or how to set up the riggings, sheets, shrouds, sails, lines, any of it. I have looked for a manual but have not found any. I must get this boat operational by Saturday the latest. That is the deadline. All help is appreciated greatly so. Pictures/videos will be ideal considering i am visual learner. Thank you in advance. If worst comes to worst, my last resort is paying someone to set this boat up to sail. Im not lazy and am willing to learn, just do not have much time.

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Welcome to the boards.

So,,,you want us to tell you how to set up your boat and how to sail all by this Saturday? Really?

You have cast a broad net on a short line here.

I suggest you adjust your time scale, learn more about the subject,
take time in the driveway to set up and dry sail your new boat
and then ask SPECIFIC questions that can be dealt with in the context of a forum.

Many here are glad to help but you are asking an awful lot.

For example, anchor and tiller not attached are not big deals, attach them.

Good luck.

Jun 17, 2019
Catalina 30 Texas south port
Understandable. Only need help setting up the boat. How to sail has been covered. The main questions are

how is the mast raised and seated

Do i just tell someone in a sailboat shop i need riggings and they just hand it to me

How to rig the boat with the newly bought riggings

How do I attach the sails

How do I extend and retract the keel

Where does the anchor attach to

Believe thats all the questions.

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
Which rigging do you need... the standing, running, or both? Either will have to be custom made. Since you don't really know what you need, look for a rigger who can come out to your boat. At least he can then show you how to raise your mast with the new rigging. But, I doubt it will be done by Saturday.

You are going to have to do your own research. There are many blog posts and YouTube videos on how to raise a mast, and many more on how to anchor. Your questions are too broad for anyone here to answer.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Believe thats all the questions.
While others are correct that you've "cast a broad net on a short line", a few more specific pictures might help.

A photo of the tabernacle where the mast will be stepped.
A couple photos of the base of your mast.
Photos of your rudder assembly (kick-up, fixed?) and the gudgeons/transom where it will be mounted.

I concur with the notion that with all the videos out there, one could get a reasonable idea about all you've asked.

I think you'll find that schedules and sailing don't mix very well. :)

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
I would add, photos of your sails (or a list of what sails you have), photos of your deck hardware, photos of other bits that came with the boat - especially any you don't recognize.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Macgregor_22_55875649.pdf

A lot of what you are asking about is covered somewhat in the owners manual. But, if you aren't familiar with sailboats and terminology, the manual is mostly gibberish.

Mast raising and lowering is a dangerous business if not done properly. A mast raising winch or gin pole can make the operation much safer. Until you have the rigging mounted (cables that go from deck to mast) and approximately adjusted, do not attempt to raise the mast.

There are many places to get parts. These guys are Macgregor pros. http://shop.bwyachts.com/category-s/120.htm

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Interesting window configuration. Not a factory setup.