Need local knowledge NJ coast

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Looking to help a friend move his 30 ft 4 ft draft powerboat from Forked River to Cape May. Is it possible to navigate the whole way on the inside? The water behind Brigantine and Atlantic City looks very thin in some spots while the Ventor bridges could also be an issue.
Thank you for any local knowledge.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Unless you know the area well I would stay away from the inside especially with a 4' draft. (what kind of powerboat? 30' with a 4'Draft?)
I have done the run with powerboats from Toms River out through Barnegat inlet (loads of fun) and I highly recommend running outside.

Sep 23, 2009
I think its closer to 3 ft but I wanted him to have some margin of error.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I'm with Sailnoproblem, especially below AC. The run on the inside from Forked River to AC isn't bad, but there are some sections along LBI that are slow speed zones if I remember correctly. I've never been below AC but I've heard it gets quite tricky. I heard a story once of a guy who missed the channel and ran aground down there. When the greenhead flies started to attack he resigned himself to damaging his props powering off the mud rather than being eaten.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
You definitely don’t want to navigate inside between AC and Cape May. I would pick a few good days and run outside the entire way to Cape May. I would wait for a day with any wind direction other then SW, that would be straight on the nose. It is possible to do it in one day under the correct conditions.

Sep 23, 2009
This is a powerboat so we're hoping that it will take hours not days. This Friday however the wind is predicted to be sw gusting to 24 knts. Slow and sure inside, if possible, is something I think we should consider. If not another date might work.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Well, at least the greenheads shouldn't be an issue ... yet. Or are they? 90's yesterday and today ...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Below AC it gets a little bit tight but it can be done. Pick a weather window with calm seas and it would be a cinch.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Sorry, I didn’t realize it’s a powerboat. I would still wait for a reasonable day to run outside. A ton of no wake zones and sandbars on the inside.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
We did the run from Cape May to NYC about 10 years ago on a 35' sailboat. We left Cape May around 8:00 pm and arrived in NYC somewhere around 3:00 the next day. Just pick a good weather window and outside s.b. fine

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
With a powerboat if you go outside you can leave Forked River in the morning and be sipping Martinis at the Lobster house by dinner time

Sep 23, 2009
As we just made the trip yesterday I thought I would share the results for the benefit of anyone else who might be considering the inside trip.
We made it in 7 hrs. 15 mins. without any problems other than some fog. From Forked River to Cape May there are only two reliable inlets, Atlantic City and Cape may. Barnagate inlet usually ok but when it i bad it is very bad. On our day for the trip winds were from the southwest with a 4 ft swell we would be heading into the whole way so our speed outside would have been slow and not likely very much fun. Inside there are no wake zones but much of the milage is open with calm water to plane along on at 17 knts.
The route is VERY well marked. We triple checked with charts from 2004, 2011 and the chartplotter. They all pretty much agreed. Behind Little Egg Inlet that chages frequently, the 2004 was the closest but the channel is so well marked there was never any question where the channel was. We found some shallowing in Sea Isle and Stone Harbor but the bottom is very soft mud.
The bridges were also not a problem. Offshoreblue.com was a great resource for current bridge opening schedules. The AC railroad bridge is mostly kept open and Wildwood RR bridge is gone. The bascule bridges did not delay us. The lowest fixed bridges are all 35 feet. The only issue worth noting is apparently the bridge tender for the Margate bridge stays down at the toll booth so untill you pull up close he can't see you and does not hear a horn or vhf call from further away.
While the outside passage is faster in good weather, the inside route offers more options for engine malfunctions, we had a few minor ones, and much more scenery. The area behind AC and Ventor felt like the canals of Vence. While alot of time spent in no wake zones, most of the milage is perfect for high speed planning in calm waters. Sailboats with under 3 to 4 foot drafts and bidge clearance under 35 feet should have no problems with the route.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Glad you had a good trip, and thanks for the info. You made the right choice to run inside with those winds. I might try that this summer, but my mast height is a little over 40'.