Need input ASAP.

Sep 22, 2019
Chrysler 26 Pymatuning Lake
I’m about to finalize a sale on a 1985 Catalina 30 tall rig. The pic below is of the hatch next to the mast step. Please take a look at the picture and window in to what seems like a crack in between the hatch and mast step. Please provide opinions. The mast is not compressing as far as I. An tell.
6BB30555-0F27-478B-9CB5-0AC9A9EE3439.jpeg

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@Erbardy ,

Good afternoon! It looks like that's just gelcoat crazing, not any serious integral failure. I would assume the crazing is a result of strenuous forces from: A.) The edge of the hatch pressing/rubbing into the deck when opened B.) The step of the mast moving when the boat is sailed in heavy air or seas. If you really want to make sure and inspect the damage, try sticking something down into the crack to see how deep it runs. You can also try blowing air into the crack to see if any moisture or rot comes out.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Have you had the boat surveyed? What was the opinion?

A good survey would check the status of the deck in that area. Is the deck wet, compromised? It would not be a big issue if it is surface cracking. You would want to fix it to keep water from geting into the core and causing bigger problems.

If the deck is soft and or the compression post is weak, then you have a bigger problem. A picture of the outside is just a glimpse. It would lead me to explore the inside structure. Is there water damage inside the boat.

I do not like the block and tackle rigging over the hatch. That would be removed on my boat. It makes the hatch unusable.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Is that a standard location for a Catalina 30 hatch? Or is the hatch the work of a prior owner? Doesn’t look l8ke a good place for a hatch in any case.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Like Simon says, it looks to be a "Gell Coat Crazing" but Don provides the sensible recommendation, get a marine survey on the boat to include that crazing.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Is that a standard location for a Catalina 30 hatch? Or is the hatch the work of a prior owner? Doesn’t look l8ke a good place for a hatch in any case.
Yep, my 95 has a hatch in the same location. My soft vang mounts just above the hatch. Hasn't been an issue with us.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Did you get a survey? If so, what did it say? Suggest getting the boatyard, where you hauled out for a survey, and/or private boat contractor to inpsect and provide a repair estimate. Then you can decide whether this is a repair you can do yourself and/or afford. You always have the option of requesting a repair allowance for the repair as a credit to your offer.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Defiantly would require a pause on the sale to confirm/deny. Given the location and the potential of water intrusion from the hatch, I’d assume it’s caused by structural compromised until proven otherwise. On a side note….that looks a little aggressive to be typical gelcoat cracking.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Defiantly would require a pause on the sale to confirm/deny. Given the location and the potential of water intrusion from the hatch, I’d assume it’s caused by structural compromised until proven otherwise. On a side note….that looks a little aggressive to be typical gelcoat cracking.
I agree. Between the hatch and the mast step there are enough opportunities for moisture to enter there that it deserves closer inspection. Gelcoat crazing can appear in spots like that too but it’s usually not quite that big of a gap.