Need info on Battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

I just bought an '84 Catalina 22, which is my first boat. The previous owner has given me his battery (I think it's a 12volt). The boat is not hooked up for shore power, so he would take his battery home and charge it. The motor also has an alternator to charge it. My question: what type of charger do I need to charge it at home? I know nothing about electrical stuff. Is there some type of battery charger that I can buy to charge it at home? How much does something like this cost? Thanks. I can't wait for spring!

Feb 9, 2004
- - -
Battery charging

Hi John - Congrats on your new boat! The important thing to consider when charging your battery is to make sure you are not over-charging it. Also, the charging voltage can vary if the battery is a gel cel as opposed to a standard flooded battery. Most likely the battery is a standard flooded battery, so just make sure the electrolyte level is up and that the charger either has a "float" mode or that you turn off the charger once the voltage gets up to 14 volts. There are plenty of books on 12V systems (see Related link below for some good reading on this subject). It would be a good idea to educate yourself on your boat's 12V system to maximize your enjoyment. Hope this helps, Trevor

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
More basic references

That's a great reference from Trevor. In addition, go to www.amplepower.com and download their Ample Power Primer. Tell you all you need to know about batteries. For charging, go to West Marine's Advisors on their website, they'll explain charging a battery and what a good charger needs to do. Stu

B

Brad

Batteries, electrical uses, etc.

Ahoy John, If you can see water cover the plates in the battery, it's likely you can use a $30 battery charger from K-mart. A couple of things, however. I can't think of many tasks worse than removing a battery and taking it home to charge it up. Ugh (remember, I said "many things") But, if you park the boat in the back yard, maybe it's not that big of a deal. What kind of electrical drain do you put on the battery? A CD player or some sort of tune box, maybe some running lights and perhaps a cabin light or two, VHF radio or an instrument or two? Those aren't big drains (I'm assuming you have a deep cycle battery, and maybe you don't....if not, keep that name in mind when you have to replace the current rig). Anyway, what Stu and Trevor said is true enough...but this doesn't have to be a science. You should have cheap volt meter, just to keep track of the charge level of the battery (Radio Shack or somewhere similar for a pocket model). When the battery get's down to 12 volts or so, it could use a charge. Don't over charge! Unless you motor a LOT, the generator on the motor won't do you a whole bunch of good. (and, don't measure battery levels right after running the generator, it will give a false high reading). If you come into a couple of bucks, think about a solar panel (maybe a 10watt) and it would probably keep the battery going all summer (unless you party at night a lot). Did I mention that there aren't many tasks worse....or yeah, I did. Have fun with the boat, Cat 22s are great boats. Brad on the Willy T

E

Existentialsailor

This is what I got

I purchased one of these: http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=SHU&MfrPartNumber=SE112S&CategoryCode=3014 Turns on and off as needed. It was recommnded by another sailor. $30 isn't bad.

U

Uwe

Cheap solar cells

Here is an Idea for solar pannels I was at an old farm auction, and up for auction were 2 electrical fence post chargers The kind that send an electrical pulse through the wire to keep livestock in. They were both shot and did not work but each had a 7.5 volt solar cell on them I took them off mounted them in series and now I have a solar charger that puts out 3amps at 14.5 volts. Tolal cost to me $3.00 for the bid and a lot of fun that day. Uwe

Status
Not open for further replies.