Need in-hull depth finder — recommendations?

Aug 28, 2019
Catalina 250 Frisco Bay Marina
Hi. I recently purchased a Catalina 250 WK and am looking for an in-hull depth finder. I’m trying to decide between something simple for now or one that has depth/speed. Also considered wind, but my boat has a compass and my personal to-do/to-learn list keeps growing :oops:. Anyway, not new to sailing/racing, but this is my first time owning/maintaining a boat. My budget is $100-300.

Thanks!
Aileen

P.S. I don’t plan to race my boat — at least not any time soon, if ever.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My budget is $100-300.
Aileen... I am confused... Is that per weekend or the depth sound equipment?

Lots of ways to go. If you do not want to take your boat out of the water to drill a hole through the bottom to install a transducer, you can choose a fish finder unit. Lorance, Hummingbird, Garmin etc. all make reasonable equipment. You can try and locate the transducer in the water on the transom, but it can work nearly as well located inside the boat lying on the hull.

Put the transducer in a plastic bag. Fill the bag with water and then lay the bag on the hull. You can move it to various locations. Turn on the depth finder and see how it works.

As a general idea if you can locate the transducer just in front of the keel (ahead of the base of the mast) you'll get a great picture of the bottom and what is approaching your boat. Note the sound is being emitted as a small cone of sound. Then the unit is listening for the bounce back from something solid in the water. (fish, rock, sea floor etc.). Move the bag about until you get a good clear picture from the bottom. Then that is where you want to locate the transducer. You can attach it to the hull with Bees Wax, or caulk, There are a variety of options.

As far as budget, the plain depth sounder is not expensive.. If you what to add a chart plotter to the fish finder then the budget goes up.

Welcome to the forum. Happy sailing.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Agree completely with John. Even as to the plastic bag idea. I prefer Lorance and have then on both of my boats, with transducers glued to hull

Aug 28, 2019
Catalina 250 Frisco Bay Marina
Aileen... I am confused... Is that per weekend or the depth sound equipment?

Lots of ways to go. If you do not want to take your boat out of the water to drill a hole through the bottom to install a transducer, you can choose a fish finder unit. Lorance, Hummingbird, Garmin etc. all make reasonable equipment. You can try and locate the transducer in the water on the transom, but it can work nearly as well located inside the boat lying on the hull.

Put the transducer in a plastic bag. Fill the bag with water and then lay the bag on the hull. You can move it to various locations. Turn on the depth finder and see how it works.

As a general idea if you can locate the transducer just inferno of the keel (ahead of the base of the mast) you'll get a great picture of the bottom and what is approaching your boat. Note the sound is being emitted as a small cone of sound. Then the unit is listening for the bounce back from something solid in the water. (fish, rock, sea floor etc.). Move the bag about until you get a good clear picture from the bottom. Then that is where you want to locate the transducer. You can attach it to the hull with Bees Wax, or caulk, There are a variety of options.

As far as budget, the plain depth sounder is not expensive.. If you what to add a chart plotter to the fish finder then the budget goes up.

Welcome to the forum. Happy sailing.
Haha, I’ve more than exceeded $300 in the first 3 days since buying her last week.

Thanks! And yes, lots of options. I’m close to driving myself crazy reading reviews. I prefer to avoid adding new holes for now because frankly, the idea still freaks me out. Plus I just paid for a launch after the survey, so she’s staying in the slip until it’s time to winterize. I am planning to place the transducer in the hull under the v-berth. But first, I have a *fun* cleanup project. The PO added ballast by placing sand inside garbage bags (not contractor bags). A bag tore and sand has made its way into the bilge. And, now that I think about it. I should come up with a way to protect the transducer up there.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
good advice above, I prefer plumbers putty, works well, less messy than toilet wax and not permanent...I too have lowrance, depth/chart plotter, was ~ $300

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Arimar makes most of the transducers and the one that you want for in-hull installation is P79. However, the way how the transducer is connected to you display unit depends on the vendor, so not all of them are easily changeable.

Many people installed a "normal" through-hull transducers inside their hulls, as well (as described in previous posts) with good results. However, the P79 is specifically designed for that purpose.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
+1 for Airmar. Just mind the connection to the display. They do make converters for the connections.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Haha, I’ve more than exceeded $300 in the first 3 days
It is a good sign that you can still laugh at this normal new boat behavior.

Depth sensor is a valuable tool.

I would encourage you to pace yourself. What has worked for me is to excitedly make a list. Lose the list. Sit in the boat looking about and then make a new list. Lose that one (or maybe hide it);)
Sit in the boat sipping a beverage and make another list of what I think I really really need.
This evolves over a couple of weeks. The list gets smaller and more focused. My pocket book suffers less and I have more money for cruising fun like that bottle of 15 year old rum that helps celebrate a successful return to port or project completed on the boat.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
In the same boat, what is the purpose of the plastic bag?
The transducer won’t read properly through air. Putting it in a water filled plastic bag allows it to emit sound into the water. It’s also important to avoid having air voids between the bag and the hull while you’re testing. Once you finish testing and find a good place you can bed the transducer in wax, silicone, etc, again making sure there are no air pockets between transducer and hull.

• Helpful
May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
am looking for an in-hull depth finder. I’m trying to decide between something simple for now or one that has depth/speed.

Hi Aileen.
Let's keep this simple (and cheap)
There are 3 thing that you want from a depth sounder for your type of boat.
1, Accuracy.
2, An alarm
3, BIG, figures.
Everything else, (pretty colors, little fishy symbols, water temperature. ) is just baggage that you will fiddle with once and never use again.
1. They are all accurate to within a few inches when the transducer is mounted correctly.
2, They all have alarms.
3. Well, unfortunately BIG figures are not available anymore , even on expensive units.
I have an old black and white screen Hook unit and the figures could be enlarged to fill the whole (tiny) screen.
This Garmin
GARMIN STRIKER™ 4 Fishfinder/GPS Combo with Dual Beam Transducer | West Marine
1582464147932.png

or this Hook
1582464113360.png

will do just fine. You can see on the Garmin that the most important information (the depth) is represented as small figures tucked away in the top corner. The Hook will be the same.
Plumbers putty is the easiest (removable) mounting medium.
Here is how I fitted my new fish finder.

As for speed, I use the Boat Speed app on my phone.
Free, only needs a GPS connection and has BIG figures. Heeling (not necessary ) can be canceled and you end up with what you need. Also has a audio setting and a little lady in your phone will tell you your speed.

1582464514210.png

all the best
Gary

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, looking at getting and installing a depth finder, but I decided to go with the sonar phone fish finder, I figure I'm using either my phone or iPad for maps so might as well use the sonar phone to complement my navionics app, it's around 200$ easy to use and install

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
good advice above, I prefer plumbers putty, works well, less messy than toilet wax and not permanent...I too have lowrance, depth/chart plotter, was ~ $300
:plus:

Done the plumbers several times. Easy peasy 5 min job.

• Helpful

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Love the spelling checker comments - you all seen the Ode to Spell checker poem? You have to read this out loud. First time I saw it, I couldn't actually figure out all of the lines...

I have a spelling checker,
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.
Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.
A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when eye rime.
Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.
Bee fore a veiling checker's
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.
Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.
Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.
To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.
Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too pleas.
:cool:

dj

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I used plumbers putty and its held fine for 3 seasons. I even get correct water temp. As far as speed my unit has depth and chartplotter. I rely on the gps for speed. My unit is a Garmin. I find them to be user friendly.

• Helpful