need ideas for new window gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Walters

My First 235 has black neoprene for gaskets under the plexi skylight and portlights. Over 15 years it has more or less shrunk and rotted to the point where it does not seal very well. I was thinking of using rubber from bicycle innertubes, but thought the UV might be too much. Any suggestions on a better-than-new fix?

H

HenryV

check this catalog

go to www.spaenaur.com - they carry a variety of seal materials and give dimensional info on line

D

Dan

Caulk?

I have the same problem on my 235 that I just bought. I was thinking about using Boatlife Seal or Caulk (can't remember which is supposed to work with polycarbonates) to make the seal by masking the cabintop outside and masking the plexiglas on the inside. Then I was going to put on a lot of caulk and screw the windows down until they squeeze the caulk evenly but not tighten down all the way. I plan to let this dry and then tighten each screw a little more and trim the excess caulk from around the edges inside and out. I will be trying this soon on the skylight window first to see if it works ok. Dan

K

Kelly Holsten

The Dreaded Gasket - One side Prayer

I feel the pain and will wrestle with the problem soon enough, this after I tackle the F235 keel refinish job/bottom paint/plumbing duties. I was going to go to a local gasket company and see if I could have something done that resembles the current solution. It actually doesnt appear too hard to duplicate. Although the normal caulk/sealant approach can bring fine results, it also can bring a fine mess on your hands and is almost a last ditch effort. I'll post the results on the website if anyone wants to take pics and record the details. I'll do the same for whatever I try. kh www.beneteau235.com

D

Dan

Gasket

Hi Kelly, Great website. I seem to be going through most of the same ordeal as you right now. I am also redoing the bottom and keel. The wing on my keel has started to separate from the fin. I also just removed the head and all of the plumbing including the holding tank to replace with all new parts. I have also removed all of the fallen headliner and am looking at several possibilities for replacements. I might wait to do my windows until I see how yours comes out. I was worried about getting a UV-resistant gasket material but then I also realized that you might be able to paint the gasket area of the window from the bottomside to provide some UV protection for the gasket. Please let us know how your project goes. Thanks, Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.