Need help with nervous wife and daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
- - madison, wi
Recently went from a 23.5 to a 170 to decrease towing weight & set-up time. However, my wife and daughter are very nervous about the boat's stability and the amount of "roll" due to the hull design, etc. I need some feed back from other 170 owners to assure my family the boat is safe and that our getting wet is very unlikely. If I find myself sailing alone, will need to find a boat meant to be rigged and sailed by one person.

Jun 5, 2004
- - Eugene, OR
Experience cure nerves

It is not going to matter what you, or anyone else tells your wife and daughter. The cure is to get them out sailing, in reasonable conditions at first, so they will have the emotional knowledge that the boat is safe and fun. It will be especially helpful if you let (make) them drive so they have a sense of control. Jim Kolstoe, h23 Kara's Boo

Jun 2, 2004
- - madison, wi
Give me a break.

My, aren't you full of yourself? If I wanted a patronizing reply, I would have asked for one. Please let those with experience sailing this boat with a family onboard assist those who ask for it. Your reference to the obvious is a waste of my time.

J

john12527

woah there big fella!

I am not clear if the initial question and the really really inappropriate angry reply were from the same person. The addresses are different. I have experience sailing with small children on a 170 and I was going to respond but it seemed like Jim pretty much got it right, I am not sure what you were after other than that, but clarifing your question may have been better than being rude. The guy was trying to be helpful. just my opinion, but what the heck was that about!!!!!!! john

C

Craig

Just Start in the Right Conditions

Hey, when I first sailed the 170 I was a little nervous at how quickly it heeled. BUT, it heels quickly through about the first 5-6 degrees then firms up nicely. If you want your wife and kids to get used to the boat, take them out in about an 5-8mph breeze and let them feel the boat. Once I got used to how quickly it heeled it didn't bother me. I've had it heeled over to where the water was just a few inches below the leeward rail and it didn't tip over. One final point . . . take a few days and get used to the boat yourself. If you're not comfortable on it your "crew" will pick up on that, and they'll be nervous, too.

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Reef main/lose the jib

Good points, all. Only thing I would add is to reef early when you have the family on board. I was out (alone) in 20mph (with easily some 25 gusts) this past Sunday- blistering breeze. I reefed the main before leaving the ramp, and doused the jib altogether. My 170 loses much speed without the jib, but it behaved remarkably well in that kind of wind just with a single reef, and no jib. Attached are a couple pics of my 170 reefing setup, in case you don't have lines run yet. Mike G. Alachua, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.