Need HELP with mainsheet rigging, Newport 17.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rowellcf

I have an older Newport 17.7 (1975) that has no way to rig the main sheet. No traveller, no other setup. Also, there is no fitting on the boom (nor drill holes) so I'm sure a rig at the end of the boom was used somehow. There is a jam-cleat facing astern, on the top on each side of the transom, but I can't see how these could work. Also, I can send pictures. Does ANYONE have any idea what is missing, how to rig this? It should be simple, something standard, I just can't figure out those jam cleats that seem to be designed to use with the main somehow.

R

rowellcf

I have an older Newport 17.7 (1975) that has no way to rig the main sheet. No traveller, no other setup. Also, there is no fitting on the boom (nor drill holes) so I'm sure a rig at the end of the boom was used somehow. There is a jam-cleat facing astern, on the top on each side of the transom, but I can't see how these could work. Also, I can send pictures. Does ANYONE have any idea what is missing, how to rig this? It should be simple, something standard, I just can't figure out those jam cleats that seem to be designed to use with the main somehow.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
There are many ways to control a boom.

Tell us exactly what you have and someone will find an answer for you.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
There are many ways to control a boom.

Tell us exactly what you have and someone will find an answer for you.

R

rowellcf

Newport 17 main sheet/boom rigging

(1)Apparently nothing has been attached to the boom (no open screw holes, etc.) and there is no central block rig on the centerboard housing, so it must have been controlled from the end of the boom. (2) The only fittings on the stern are two jam cleats with guide rollers, which are closed on top (must thread line through), on on each stern corner. They face at 45 degrees, running forward & outboard and aft & inboard. Weird. They are set up to stop the line from running back - they are released by pulling the line forward & outward. I'm pretty sure these were used with some kind of block or rig, but there's nothing else there at all. Maybe someone covered up old screw holes.... I guess I could just take those jam-cleats off and install a traveller, but I'd like to use them. I was hoping someone would have one of these, or some other Newport model, so I could see how they are supposed to be rigged.

R

rowellcf

Newport 17 main sheet/boom rigging

(1)Apparently nothing has been attached to the boom (no open screw holes, etc.) and there is no central block rig on the centerboard housing, so it must have been controlled from the end of the boom. (2) The only fittings on the stern are two jam cleats with guide rollers, which are closed on top (must thread line through), on on each stern corner. They face at 45 degrees, running forward & outboard and aft & inboard. Weird. They are set up to stop the line from running back - they are released by pulling the line forward & outward. I'm pretty sure these were used with some kind of block or rig, but there's nothing else there at all. Maybe someone covered up old screw holes.... I guess I could just take those jam-cleats off and install a traveller, but I'd like to use them. I was hoping someone would have one of these, or some other Newport model, so I could see how they are supposed to be rigged.

Status
Not open for further replies.