Need help w/ washdown pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PJ Walchenbach

Hello all! Spring is coming and on my list of new stuff is the installation of a salt water washdown pump. I have a Cat-36. What do you think about: 1. brands/types/models 2. where to locate the pump 3. if I use the head intake thruhull do I need a check valve 4. what kind of fixture do I use at the end of the hose where the hose meets the anchor locker, (something that will allow me to attach and remove a hose in the event I do not want to leave the hose in the anchor locker) 5. should I put the pump switch in the anchor locker with the hose or in the head with the pump, 6. how long should the anchor locker hose be, e.g. 5’, 10’, etc. Thanks for your help. Paul Walchenbach s/v Mata Hari

R

Rich Lemieux

Washdown Pump

I also plan on installing a salt water washdown pump on my Cat-36. I have not done this yet, but is my plan: 1. brands/types/models Shurflo Blaster Washdown kit 2. where to locate the pump Under the v-berth near the head 3. if I use the head intake thruhull do I need a check value ??? I don't know, I have the same question 4. what kind of fixture do I use at the end of the hose where the hose meets the anchor locker, (something that will allow me to attach and remove a hose in the event I do not want to leave the hose in the anchor locker) That's may plan. 5. should I put the pump switch in the anchor locker with the hose or in the head with the pump, I plan on connecting the pump to the windless power feed. Then the pump will get power only when needed. 6. how long should the anchor locker hose be, e.g. 5', 10', etc. I plan on using a 15'coiled hose.

D

Don Hall

Washdown pump

I, too, am planning on installing a washdown pump 1. brands/types/models Shurflo Blaster Washdown kit 2. where to locate the pump Under the v-berth near the head or under the head shower seat if I can find room 3. if I use the head intake thruhull do I need a check value? I don't know for sure, but I think I probably do on the head side. Don't want to create any reverse suction on the head! or suck air from the sink drain. 4. what kind of fixture do I use at the end of the hose where the hose meets the anchor locker? A simple male hose thread outlet fixture 5. should I put the pump switch in the anchor locker with the hose or in the head with the pump? I plan on installing a waterproof switch in the ancor well so I can use the pump for deck washdown without having the windlass powered up 6. how long should the anchor locker hose be, e.g. 5', 10', etc. I plan on using a 5' hose. If I need a longer hose, I will switch hoses

B

Bob Camarena

Heavy Gauge Wire

Whatever else you do, make sure you use a heavy enough wire gauge from the battery to the pump. It wouldn't hurt (and the additional expense should be minimal) to go one size up from what the instructions call for given the length of the run to the v-berth. Also, avoid sharp bends in the supply hose, use ell fittings instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.