Need help repairing/replacing hinged mast step

Sep 17, 2016
hunter 19-1 Lake Champlain, VT
Hello!
I had a little "issue" with my mast. It came down a little faster than it was supposed to and it twisted the metal at the bottom. luckily the damage was not too bad. I trimmed about 3 inches off the bottom of the mast with a miter saw and I figured I can replace everything that broke. (note, my sail would not reach the top of the mast before, by about 3 inches, so i'm hoping the shorter mast will just make it so the sail actually reaches the top now the boom will be a few inches lower now).

I took the broken pieces to my local Western Marine store today, thinking this would be a no-brainer. However, the teenager at the cash register was the only person in the store and she looked at me like I was from another planet.

So I think I need to find these parts online. Can anyone here point me to a place I can buy these parts? I can't seem to find them very easily online.

Here's what I need:

1567968479287.png

I searched the West Marine online catalog and couldn't fine replacement parts for this. also tried Googling and not coming up with much. seems like a very common part though, maybe I'm not looking in the right place. any help is appreciated.

thanks!
gary in Vermont

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Try searching for "hinged mast plate assembly" You'll see a rig-rite link in the list... this might be a good place to see if you can match up the bent plates... then scavenge the mast plug from the damaged plate to install on the new pieces.
Note.... you can be pretty creative in this area... don't be locked into finding an exact duplicate... it may not exist because it is common for folks to fabricate their own systems. In fact, you could take the damaged pieces to a metal fabrication shop and they could most likely build you a new "tabernacle" (another name for the mast plate) for a reasonable price.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
To tried to help by looking in the SBO store for parts for what your profile says is your boat, Hunter 19. Looks like there were different model years so that didn’t work out well. Just a suggestion but you might want to contact the staff and see if they can help.

Sep 17, 2016
To tried to help by looking in the SBO store for parts for what your profile says is your boat, Hunter 19. Looks like there were different model years so that didn’t work out well. Just a suggestion but you might want to contact the staff and see if they can help.
thanks. mine is a Hunter 19-1 it is described here:

i thought i found an owners manual at one point but i can't seem to find it now

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
thanks. mine is a Hunter 19-1 it is described here:

i thought i found an owners manual at one point but i can't seem to find it now
Is this the manual?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Not trying to spoil your day but aren’t your stays and shrouds going to be too long with 3” of mast missing? Turnbuckles would need to take up the slack.

Sep 17, 2016
Not trying to spoil your day but aren’t your stays and shrouds going to be too long with 3” of mast missing? Turnbuckles would need to take up the slack.
yes i thought about that. i plan on adjusting the stays too :) i'm going to do it all on the ground before i get near any water :)

Sep 17, 2016
thanks. i'm not sure. that manual says 1993 and later and I'm pretty sure my boat is 1981. also the drawing the have of the 19-ft boat in there looks similar but not exactly the same as mine. the fake "windows" that are painted on the side are not the same and the "swoosh" on the side is not the same either. I wish i knew if that was right though, because it has an actual part/reference number for the things I need.

Aug 16, 2016
Pacific Dolphin 24 Phoenix, Arizona
Looks like a hinged mast plate from Gerhaurer. Dwyer mast and Catalina Direct also stock them. The mast base insert is available from Dwyer mast also if I remember correctly. Having a GOB, I've gotten good at scrounging for odd parts.