need feed back on 1992 hunter 27'

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sylvio leblanc

I am seriously looking into purchasing a 1992 hunter 27', does anybody have any feed back on this model either positive or negative ? I have a wife, two boys (5yr and 2 yr old) , and a golden retreiver. I'm wondering if this boat is a good fit for my family ?

W

Ward Niffenegger

I like mine

sylvio, We have a 1992 model as well and we like it. Ours has wheel steering and an inboard diesel. I have it set up to trailer so I am probably not the typical h27 owner. We have plenty of room for the two of us even when we have our two grandchildren. It sails easy. Best features are roomy, hot & cold pressure water, galley is nice for a small boat, a 'real' marine head is great and the shower is nice, but only 25 gallon water supply. Only negative features are the holding tank is 12 gallons. This doesn't last long with kids. The boat doesn't point as well as my h23 did. There are several reviews of this model on the 27 (89-94) page. You may find helpful information there as well. Good luck Ward

J

Jim Wasko

I love it

I just don't like the size of the cockpit as the tiller tends to clear the 'path' for all those that find themselves in the way, which is easy enough if the waves don't do it. The boat doesn't point as good as I would like it to, but with proper sail adjustments, it can be done. The kid factor is easily overcome by the enormous interior the H27 has provided and will make for a good weekend'er at any local beach with good waves and warm water. The holding tank can be enlarged with a reletivley low cost replacement that your broker can offer at cost because your buying the boat from them, So I wouldn't worry too much about that. Other than that, it's a great boat.

JCAL

Dec 14, 2008
Hunter 27, 1990 Lake Charles
Outstanding

I am pleased to provide you with a brief assessment of the H-27. I bought the 1990 H-27 Yanmar inboard in January 2002. Understand this boat is rated by Lloyds of London for 6-8 foot seas, which means she is a costal, inland lake boat. The First Mate and I were looking for many of the same amenities as you are. ·We are pleased with the boats sailing charactureristics considering the trade offs. We sailed the boat a lot in the 3 months she was in the water in winds up to 30 mph, (reef early) Very fun boat to sail, moves well in light wind. Can be a handful in 25-30 knot winds if not prepared best to reef the main at 20-5 or so. The boat has high sides/freeboard and with the bimini the main is high off the water, which doesn’t allow for lowest reefing of the main. However we have learned to compensate for that by reducing head sail more. It would be nice to have a mainsheet traveler, plan to add one. Other wise we enjoyed the boat, a pleasure to handle in light air++! ·The Yanmar 1 GM 10 is a real trouper. Very reliable and strong. You have to consider the weight of the boat is only 5k Lbs compared to the older models that weigh 7K Lbs. I am very pleased with it. There is no comparison in fuel economy between the inboard diesel and the outboard to include the 4 strokes, I have owned them both. The 1 GM 10 burns about ¾ qt per hr. We were surprised at how low the DBs were in the cabin with the engine running. I also found if idling if I set the throttle at about 650 -700 RPM and she dosen’t knock (the diesel Knock) loud at all. ·There are always significant trade off between the inboard and outboard. There is no doubt that you can do things with an outboard that cannot be compared with the inboard. The outboard is much more maneuverable and a lifesaver if you accidentally run aground. I have heard on the hunter web site that some had problems with prop walk, backing down, however I did not have any trouble backing up. Between the large rudder and shifting in and out of gear I have not had a problem yet, don’t misunderstand we all have problems at times. I am pleased with the inboard. I am considering putting an outboard bracket on the stern as a place to carry the dingy and I can use the outboard if I ground. We cruise the backwaters, inland lakes and waterways along the coastline of Louisiana and Texas mostly. ·We love the size of the cockpit, layout but am looking for a smaller cruising wheel for the helm. The large one makes it a little tight. The walk through transom well what can I say, no comp, I have owned 5 sailboats from 23’ to 33’ and there is no comparison. I don’t like the small stern access locker hatches. Though I can get through the (I am 6’1”-200 lbs) hatch it is not exactly easy for me, Requires fore thought for entrance and exit. I plan to remedy access problem to the battery compartment by putting a watertight hatch thru the aft bunk bulkhead. This will provide easy and speedy access to the batteries. ·The interior is great, do not like not being able to remove the table for more maneuvering room in the salon. I plan to mod the table mount to be able to drop or remove easily. The shower is great. If you fill the tank and heat it before leaving the dock you will have warm water for 2 days. It is great to be able to shower need I say more! I have to set down on the drop down seat in the shower however is works great! I built a trailer and can move my boat where ever we want to go with little trouble. Good Luck! Jim Calhoun Playmate

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
More kudo's for the 27

I'd like to echo what Jim and Ward have said (I've talked with both of them on issues over the past year). I have a 1990 like Jim's and it has all the advantages that he mentions. It's a great mid-sized boat with many of the features you'd find only in larger boats but at a significantly smaller price. Mine, too, is diesel and wheel. The biggest aggravation is access to the batteries through rear cockpit lockers. The Yanmar is a real trooper. The traveller system with a systems of blocks is inferior, but some have chosen to replac eit with a true traveler system. I'm told there were about 125 H-27s made by Hunter of this "later" 27 edition (89-94), so you won't see a whole lot of them out there. All in all, a good boat for all but the most serious sailors for inland lakes, sounds and coastal waters.

J

Jim Wasko

Hi Rick

This is off topic, but if you could find some time to send me a picture of the wheel placement and the manufacturer of it, I would really appreciate it. I just don't feel like spending another season explaining to my other half that just because she pushed the tiller to the starboard wont make the boat go that way :) Back to the thread at hand, Hunter must have changed these 27's around quite a bit over the years. My 79 H27 has an 8hp Diesel, traveler in the stern, fold down cabin table with the batteries located underneath the aft port quarter birth accessible from inside the boat only. Thank you in advance Rick, jim@ampcast.com

W

Ward

jim your 79 is a different boat entirely

Jim, I believe in 89 Hunter modeled the h27 after the 26.5 and is really totally different. I think your displacement is 7,000 pounds where the 89-94 model is 5,000 pounds. If you look on the model page, you can compare the specs. Having said this, I sure wish they would have incorporated some of the better features on the older 27's to the new ones..... like battery placement. Ward

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Yes, very different boats

Ward is right -- your 79 H-27 is a very different boat -- and a good one judging by how many more of them are out there than our later 27s. The wheel is an Edson that was installed at the factory. I has a 28-inch (I think) diameter wheel. Havigngd two Hunters previously that were tillers, it is a change. My second mate likes the wheel better because it is intuitive (you TURN to starboard, you GO starboard), but in some ways you lose the "feel" of the boat without a tiller. On the other hand, I like the wheel lock in case you want to go forward. Strictly a personal choice.

J

Jim Ormond

Yes, the older 27's are quite different.

I also have an older 27, a 1977 model, and they do differ from the newer ones in a couple of significant ways. A very significant one is the cockpit layout. Our older models were designed for tiller steering, so the cockpit seats go all the way from companion way to stern, whereas the newer models don't. They are designed for wheel steering, so the seats only go part-way back, leaving footroom for stepping around the pedistal and wheel. Other differences include whether the head is designed for a shower, the design of the dining table, the design of portlights, etc. If I were to add wheel steering to mine, it would not be pedistal type, because of the lack of being able to step around it in the cockpit, not to mention that the floor of the cockpit would need to be strengthened quite a bit to withstand the stresses of pedistal steering. Instead, I would probably go with a "traditional" system, such as an Edson rack and pinion system, or some such thing that doesn't use a pedistal, but just replaces your tiller with the rack and pinion and a wheel. But that can cost several boat bucks, so I'm sticking with the ol' tiller for the foreseeable future.

S

sylvio leblanc

trailer for hunter 27

Jim you metioned you had built your own trailer. could you pls e-mail me so photos of it along with the dimentions ? and a rough position for the jack posts ? e-mail is as follows: sylvio_leblanc@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.