need Cockpit coaming tread

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
So, the other night while racing, my starboard side cockpit coaming tread came off and went over board. I have no idea how. I am open to ideas for replacement. This is a 1987 TRBS Mk2. I have called CD and they take 8-12 weeks, or more, for delivery and I need to buy two. Does anyone have a line on a Mk2 C30 being parted out? Other ideas I'm considering are buying my own piece of teak or starboard and building my own. I would do 2 so they match. I built a hatch from starboard before with success (the one behind the wheel). Also built a hatch from okoume that was beautiful, but I don't think that will work because it is laminate ply and the front edge is beveled. Has anyone dealt with this before and found an easy solution? Thank you!

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Yep. They don't stock them. Said they could build one. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna order the starboard and build two matching today. I pulled my other one up today quite (surprisingly) easily. I suggest they be screwed in. I know my next ones will be. Thanks.

Jimski

May 20, 2015
Catalina 30 Seabrook
To be clear, you are talking about a piece of teak on the top of the coaming that you step on and not the piece of trim that fits over the open storage compartment so useful for holding winch handles, sun tan lotion and empty beer cans?

Should be easy to make the step pad. My '86 doesnt have them so I could be wrong. Isnt it just a flat piece of teak?

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Correct. The step pad. I ordered a piece of starboard and will be making them this week. Thanks!