Need Boom Info for a 26ft O'Day

MaryC

Sep 30, 2008
Allmand 31 Grenada
Hey everyone,
Our Sea Scout Ship on Cape Cod, MA has a 26ft O'Day. Somehow the boom has gone missing and we need to replace it. Not having any luck finding an exact replacement. I do have a possibility for a boom from a 25ft O'day, or one from a 26ft Erickson. Would love to have input from a 26ft owner. How long is the boom? Do you know the manufacturer? Welcome any creative ideas for how we can get this boat sailing so the kids don't miss the whole summer season.

Thanks!

MaryC

Sep 30, 2008
Allmand 31 Grenada
Thanks! We found a boom that should work once we get the proper gooseneck. My next question is: How is the reefing generally set up for this boat?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My 25 was single line with blocks on the boom, everything was adjusted at the mast.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
There’s no standard way to install reefing on a 26 foot keel boat like the Oday 26. It depends on how you plan to reef and where the rest of the hardware is on the boat.

Do you want to reef from the cockpit? Or are you willing to go up to the mast?
Where does the main halyard terminate?
Where is your main halyard winch?
Where is the topping lift?

It would be helpful to see a picture of the deck hardware and mast hardware on the boat.

The gold standard for reefing is to set up slab reefing so that The front grommet should be secured forward towards the the mast before the back grommet on the leech is tensioned. There are many different hardware setups that will accomplish this.