Need boat and motor manuals and engine suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Cook

I just bought a 1974 O'Day 27. I need copies of any/all manuals, specifications, etc. I also need copies of manuals for a Volvo Penta model MD7A diesel engine. She came with an MD6A workshop manual and an MD7A product brochure, but nothing else. I confirmed the model is MD7A via a plate on the engine. I have not been able to find any info online yet. This is my first boat and I have no previous experience. It hasn't been run for some (unknown amount of) time (min=6 months, max=3 years) and won't start. I was told to replace all filters and fluids and drain the tank. The tank is drained. I replaced the fuel filter. Should I bleed the lines and the fuel separator? I can't find where to drain the oil, and bent the wrench trying to take off the rusty filter. The tranny looks good. It is a light honey color, no odor, no grit. The air filter seems to be a sealed unit and is very dirty inside, do I replace the whole unit or try to clean it with gas? Any and all help/suggestions/comments will be appreciated.

N

Ned Young

Diesel

You will need to bleed the system. The bleed points will be in the owners manual. You can change the oil by using a pump in the dip stick tube. The drain is probably under the engine and almost impossible to get to. Don't forget the transmission and change the fluid the same way. You can get a engine manual from a parts supplier. Check on the internet. Good Luck

D

Don Evans

The Allusive Volo Manuals

Hi Jim. I have an OD25 with the next model up, MD2000 (10 hp). I can verify Neils responses. The air cleaner on mine is replaceable, so yours maybe also. For all the Volvo engines installed aboard boats, you would think that they might have a more lively presence on this continent. Alas they are as scarce as hen's teeth. Keep scouting in your area, and if you find any shop with Volvo parts and experience stick with them. Buy or make a pump for removing old oil, with a thin plastic tube to shove into the engine dip stick tube and tranny oil filler cover. You may want to acquire a good, general diesel maintainence and troubleshooting book (Nigel Calders is excellent but expensive). I would think the bleeding screw would be above the primary engine fuel filter, as it is on mine. If the injectors are OK, clean fuel, clean air is just about all a diesel needs to start. Good luck. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.