Need backup here

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Friend with Hunter 410 plugs his shoreline in and shortly thereafter he realizes nothing is on and breakers tripped. This is what he finds.

I say replace entire wire once the cause is found and fixed. He says if he cuts it back and installs the new shorepower wire and outlet it'll be ok.

Yay or nay? Would you replace the entire thing?

Attachments

Jun 14, 2011
Hunter 22 Fin Keel Lake Martin
The cause looks to be a loose terminal in the plug. I'd cut back and replace the plug. No need to replace the entire wire. Just cut out the damage.

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
Replace the plug with the new smart plugs style mine was like that and I replace the yellow and two weeks later in the melt again smart plug is the only way to go

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
He went for replacing the plug. Tried to talk him into Smart Plug but didn't want to convert it all over. I, however, may do that.

Thanks for the input. I'm just overly cautious!

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Damn if I wouldn't be inclined to rewire half the boat!

SURELY the man is going to at least replace all that wire from the socket to the breaker box?

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
That was my suggestion Chris, but again, I might be overly cautious. I am that way with anything electrical or with plumbing. He was not going to replace that. It most likely was a bad plug or socket but I didn't like how the wires melted.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i usually take mine apart and look to see how much damage has been done to cord, then replace the plug only, after cutting back the cord. remember these cost a lot of dough, so using caution also includes regular checking of the condition before during and after installation into the shore power receptacle. i carry spare plugs just in case of need.
i also carry a spare cord in its entirety.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The whole problem may be the electrical arching at the plug and connector because of a loose connection. I would replace both the connector and the supply wire. A replacement plug and weather cover to repair the wire may cost around $50. For $120 you can get a brand new 50' 30A cable. Inexpensively repairing the wire to keep as a backup or as an extension might not be a bad idea. For that I would use an inexpensive plug.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
the least pricey plug is 75 usd in mexico, 50 usd in usa, cali.
the entire cord is over 200 usd in kali and 300 usd in mexico.

shop around and have fun. good luck. it took me a long time to find the parts, as most places i looked--ie, chandleries--had sold out....
i was fortunate enough to have been handed a used cord that someone couldnt make work, so i didnt argue, and accepted the donation. now i have 2--that donation is my primary....

May 21, 2009
Hunter 30 Smithfield, VA
The picture of the shore power cable looks like it cooked on both ends. That's troubling. As others have mentioned, probably was just poor connection there at the plug. Resistance causes heat, which increases resistance ... and then fire and melted stuff. There must have been a pretty good load on the cable. Air Conditioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.