Need advice- Repair swing keel trunk - Chrysler 26

Sep 22, 2019
Chrysler 26 Pymatuning Lake
Hi. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a new to me 1978 Chrysler 26. Love the boat! But, I just recently was sailing and the swing keel hit the bottom of the lake on an old concrete road. The swing keel trunk vibrated like crazy for a moment. a few days later i noticed water is seeping through the point where the trunk meets the cabin floor at two spots (aft potion of the trunk and the bow most portion port side. See picture below of trunk before the accident.

I am planning on taking the boat out of the water and then doing a fiberglass repair on it using west systems epoxy, woven roven and fiberglass. Can anyone point me in the direction of proper instructions to do this? I would like to do a repair that also gives it some structure reinforcement. In addition, can I just reinforce from just inside the cabin? I am not sure how I can get into the trunk cavity from under the boat.

Thanks!!

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The first stop should be the West System website. The site will have several manuals and multiple articles about epoxy repairs. Search the Epoxyworks Magazine section.