Need advice re: odor fighting and an abandoned macerator pump

Sep 13, 2021
Catalina Capri 26 280 Lake Jacomo
@Peggie Hall HeadMistress and others -

Our new to us Catalina Capri 26 has a smelly head. I've learned here that I probably need to replace our waste lines. Yesterday I crawled around to try to measure how much hose I needed to purchase. I think it's roughly 10 feet.

But, I made a new discovery. Our boat has a macerator pump. The discharge is disconnected. We're on an inland lake, so that's good news. :) However, the hoses are all still in place. The waste hose from the holding tank comes right out of the bottom of a T connector, below the pump out line. This is at the bottom of the holding tank. Doesn't that virtually ensure that those hoses are full of old waste? Yuck.

My first thought is that I should replace that T with an elbow and remove the hoses to the macerator pump and further abandon it. We have no use for it.

Please let me know your thoughts. Not looking forward to this job, but I sure want to get rid of the smell.

Photos below.

Chris

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Doesn't that virtually ensure that those hoses are full of old waste? Yuck.
Yes It is a possibility... Use a good pump out. Flush the tank with water then pump it out again...
Mask up. A little Vicks Vapor rub under the nose helps. Long rubber gloves, and clothes you do not plan to use again... Then Dive In as they say... There is no short cut save from having someone else do the job...

Sep 13, 2021
Thanks - does replacing that T fitting with a 90 degree elbow and just removing all of the other hose to and from the pump sound like the best plan?

I guess I could also just plug that T fitting.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is a personal "your boat" decision. If this will always be an inland lake boat it is a reasonable idea. Some captains prefer to maintain the option of discharge, and never use it. Others find it an essential system when they venture far from shore on open waters - no pump out available.

When the runs are short and straight, some replumb with PVC pipe. It has a risk of breakin in frozen conditions.
It is non-permeable which is an advantage. All depends on your planned use.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Plug the outlet to the macerator pump and remove the pump.
As for hoses, the ONLY hose I recommend is Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex

What's the make/model/approx age of your toilet? Depending on your answer, I have a "Plan B" that may make a lot more sense on a 26' boat than dealing with a tank and all the related plumbing that's using up at least 25% of the already limited storage space on a boat that size: replace it all with an "MSD" portapotty.

The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.

A 5 gallon model is household height and holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $300--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

If this idea appeals to you, check out the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD
--Peggie

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
After the pump head fell off my Jabsco, I removed it and just screwed in a 1½"ø threaded cap. That was far easier than replacing the T with an L and if I ever decide to install another waste pump, the fitting is already there.

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
I’m looking to do the same thing soon with my macerator.. I can smell the stink coming off of the heater hose that was connecting the macerator to the discharge thru-hull. :huh: It’s hard to see in your picture, but my tank appears to have a threaded female providing connection to a threaded male barb. I’ll replace it with a threaded male cap. But I’m still trying to work up the gumption to take on this malodorous project.

IMG_3807.jpegIMG_3982.jpeg

Sep 13, 2021
I’m looking to do the same thing soon with my macerator.. I can smell the stink coming off of the heater hose that was connecting the macerator to the discharge thru-hull. :huh: It’s hard to see in your picture, but my tank appears to have a threaded female providing connection to a threaded male barb. I’ll replace it with a threaded male cap. But I’m still trying to work up the gumption to take on this malodorous project.

View attachment 219591View attachment 219592
Yeah, I'm with you. I'm really hoping that I have a threaded connection there also. It would be great to just be able to cap it off like that. At a minimum, that hose is the first thing that fills with waste, before the tank. I'm not sure, but I doubt that the pump out process does a good job of emptying the hose. I'm expecting to find that it has, um, contents. Removing that much fouled hose should go a long way toward reducing the odor.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Rinse the tank as best as you can and then use a heavy dose of a good enzyme treatment like Odorlos or Norflex Digester, fill it to the top and lest it sit for a day. Then pump it out and change the fitting.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Neither Odorlos nor No-Flex is an enzyme product.

To completely flush out a tank, pump out and then put 5-6" of clean water into it via the deck pumout fitting...that sends the water into the tank at the bottom to stir up any sludge and hold in suspension so it can be pumped out. Repeat...repeat...till you're pumping out clean water. The do it one more time, this time with the macerator pump running to flush out it and its plumbing. No need for a "heavy dose" of anything.

This should be done 2-3 x season and especially in preparation for winter or other extended layup.

--Peggie

Jun 27, 2021
Hunter 376 Midland
Peggie - in prepping for winterization: is that final rinse with the macerator running being done with the overboard discharge valve closed?

~Rob

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
NO! Thru-hull must be open any time macerator pump is running. You're only discharging clean water, so nothing illegal about it, but I'd still recommend doing it discretely avoid upsetting any self-appointed "protectors of the environment" who might jump to the wrong conclusion.

--Peggie

Sep 13, 2021
NO! Thru-hull must be open any time macerator pump is running. You're only discharging clean water, so nothing illegal about it, but I'd still recommend doing it discretely avoid upsetting any self-appointed "protectors of the environment" who might jump to the wrong conclusion.

--Peggie
Peggie - In my case the macerator exit hose is already permanently cut and disconnected from the thru-hull. I want to remove all of the hoses connected with the macerator pump and abandon it. I'll be replacing just the hose from the toilet to the tank, and from the tank to the pump out fitting. I already have a toilet and holding tank installed. It would not save me any useable space on the boat if I stopped using these and put in an MSD toilet. I'm planning to order some Raritan SaniFlex hose and hope to eliminate the odor.

Sep 13, 2021
I started this project this weekend. I got the two waste lines removed that were connected to the pump. It was worse than I imagined. lol :D

Probably decades of old waste just sitting there. I don't think these lines could ever have been getting pumped out since the exit hose was capped off.

Hopefully the worst is behind me. Cross your fingers.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Hopefully the worst is behind me. Cross your fingers.
It should be, but you may have some residual odor in the places those hoses passed through to deal with. That will require thoroughly cleaning every surface, nook and cranny with a strong solution of detergent(Dawn dish washing liquid will work) and water, followed by treating with PureAyre to get rid of it. Detailed instructions on request.

--Peggie

Sep 13, 2021
It should be, but you may have some residual odor in the places those hoses passed through to deal with. That will require thoroughly cleaning every surface, nook and cranny with a strong solution of detergent(Dawn dish washing liquid will work) and water, followed by treating with PureAyre to get rid of it. Detailed instructions on request.

--Peggie
Thanks, Peggie. It made quite a mess when disconnecting the hoses. I caught and cleaned up as much as possible under the circumstances, but there is still a lot that needs to be scrubbed. Unfortunately I won't have access to freely running water again until Spring. I'm going to let things dry completely, then shop vac, and do a thorough scrubbing when we splash again in April. Thanks for the tip about PureAyre.

gt Ken

Jun 28, 2012
Catalina Capri 26 Lake Sacandaga
@Peggie Hall HeadMistress and others -

Our new to us Catalina Capri 26 has a smelly head. I've learned here that I probably need to replace our waste lines. Yesterday I crawled around to try to measure how much hose I needed to purchase. I think it's roughly 10 feet.

But, I made a new discovery. Our boat has a macerator pump. The discharge is disconnected. We're on an inland lake, so that's good news. :) However, the hoses are all still in place. The waste hose from the holding tank comes right out of the bottom of a T connector, below the pump out line. This is at the bottom of the holding tank. Doesn't that virtually ensure that those hoses are full of old waste? Yuck.

My first thought is that I should replace that T with an elbow and remove the hoses to the macerator pump and further abandon it. We have no use for it.

Please let me know your thoughts. Not looking forward to this job, but I sure want to get rid of the smell.

Photos below.

Chris
You may also want to put in a Charcoal filter on vent line. I am looking for the measurement from end of boom to back stay.
Ken