Need advice on NG-1 Masthead.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Hello all. I am trying to get my mast back up but need help with some questions. I have tried calling Rig Rite but they do not have any customer service people to advise and all questions must now be sent via email. I misss the days when customer service was number one.( are there any other sources for parts?)
The main problem we found is that the main halyard rubs against the aft edge of the mast. There are rollers on the mast head that look like they are there to keep the halyard away from the mast but would bend the halyard over a sharp radius and add friction. Shouls the halyard come right off the sheave or run from the sheave to a roller and then down the mainsail track?
Would a 2 5/16 inch sheave help over the 2 inch sheave and would it help?
Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Did the boat originally have a wire/rope halyard? The wear does not look like anything that rope alone could do as the grooves are deep.

When the sail is hoisted it should pull the halyard away from the mast, not by much, just an inch or and it would be under tension so it wouldn't wear at the mast.

A larger sheave might be helpful, if there is room in the mast head, that would take some investigation.

A working theory for the groove: The original halyard was a wire rope halyard (you can check this looking at the sheave, if there is a deeper groove inside of a bigger groove then there was a wire halyard, if not, the sheave might have been replaced) and when not sailing the halyard was secured to a bail on the mast or some other fitting that allowed the wire part of the halyard to rub against the mast.

Look for other evidence of wear that would support or refute this theory. Look for a bail that has wear, look for wear at the spreader bases.

Also, my goto rigging guys are at Rigging Only. Great folks, very reasonable prices, good service. https://www.riggingandhardware.com

Harlan

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 34 Niantic
I believe the aft axle can go into either of 2 positions in the aft slot - one further aft than the other. Are you sure yours is in the farthest aft position? I have the same masthead and no problem. Not sure what size sheaves I have - sorry.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Thank you both. A previous wire halyard is possible but the plastic sheave has no traces of prior wire use. The most aft axles only fit the rollers. Not sure if the main halyard should exit the most aft sheaves and go over the rollers or directly down to sails head. Will take a better look this weekend.
Will give Rigging only a call. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'm with DLOCHNER, except that wire halyard would probably have wire, not plastic/nylon sheaves- or are you calling them rollers? If not, I do not know what your rollers" are. Maybe the PO made a switcheroo? Put in a bigger one if you can.