need advice buing a used 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason

My Dad has a Catalina 36, and pretty soon I would like a boat of my own. Ideally I would like to spend around 3K, and what I need is just a seaworthy vessel with mast and sails. I would like a motor, but for 3K I need to be realistic. I have seen ads for boats made in the 70's and 80's for around my asking price with a trailer and motor. Is that price realistic? What kind of maintnance/repairs should I expect on an older boat? Any insights to these or other issues you can think of would be great. thanks!

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Right on budget

If you can find a C22 from the 80s for that price, go for it! Actually, I just sold one for about $1900 but it was in pretty sad shape. Mostly it just needed to be thoroughly cleaned but there was some "real" work to do. I think you could probably find a very nice one for $3K if you kept an eye out & aren't in a hurry. For that price, be sure a trailor is included. Do you have a vehicle large enough to tow it? Or are you just planning on leaving it in the water? Something to consider. No doubt older boats will take more of your time to maintain and fix things but the nice thing is, the smaller the boat, the fewer things to fix! You could do some bad a** gunkholing up there with a C22!! Good luck! LaDonna

G

Gary Jensen

Catalina 22 cost

Jason, Congratulations on your choice to get a 22 Catalina. Although I have a 380, I sail on my neighbors 22 at times. The Catalina 22 in our area (San Francisco bay area) vary in price according to year,condition and how its equipped. I think that you are smart in getting one with a trailer as you can eliminate berthing, bottom cleaning and painting.I have seen decent 78 Catalina 22s go for $2200 dollars. Ones that just needed a little elbo grease,were all about that price.The best advice that I can give is for you, is to offer an amount that is "COMFORTABLE FOR YOU." Remember that after the purchase, you will have trailer liscensing and insurance to fit into the budget along with any upgrading that you may want to do to the boat...Good luck, I hope that you get the boat you want....Gary

R

rick

c22 great choice

look @ 100 cat 22s and you will know the value of the one you actually buy. Get the seller to throw in all the extras you can, even if they aren't on the boat when you look at it: life jackets, fenders, etc. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.