Need a moisture meter to rent for the weekend

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Anyone got one? I'm helping a friend look at a boat this weekend. I used to have a friend who had a nice Tramex that he would lend me, but he's out of the business now and sold all of his kit. Willing to pay for the use of course. Thx!

Reply or PM

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Harbor Freight has cheap ones that get you in the ballpark. I use mine for woodworking

Nov 8, 2010
Harbor Freight has cheap ones that get you in the ballpark. I use mine for woodworking
I have thought of that. The trick is of course interpreting the results. No baseline to start from. But I suppose you might be able to do some careful probing and look at the range of results as a guide.

Dec 28, 2015
It has about 12 leds that light up to show the moisture range. I'd think you'd be looking for extremes either way not a actual percentage?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The Harbor Freight moisture meters that I have seen, are the two prong type that require 2 points direct physical contact with the material to be measured. They are not the kind that you can set on the fiberglass skin of a boat & read moisture in the core without drilling holes.

Dec 28, 2015
The Harbor Freight moisture meters that I have seen, are the two prong type that require 2 points direct physical contact with the material to be measured. They are not the kind that you can set on the fiberglass skin of a boat & read moisture in the core without drilling holes.
Yup.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You can get a pinless moisture meter at Home Depot in the $40 neighborhood.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I purchased one from a big box home improvement store (a Ryobi for around $40 a few years ago) and it agreed within a small percent with the professional unit our surveyor used. It's a great tool to take when looking at used boats. You have a good idea before you spring for a survey.

Ken

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
i purchased this from amazon....
General Tools MMD7NP Moisture Meter, Pinless, Digital LCD with Tricolor Bar Graph

Nov 8, 2010
Thx for all the tips, I've got a awesome loaner!