Need a H37C mast or measurments

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter 1980 37c Illinois
Hi folks,
I need a new or used H37C cutter mast or the measurements (diagram, drawing, Kenyon or Rig Rite parts list) any help that I can obtain...
Thanks!

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
We will be having our mast down for re rigging some time during the next 2 months. I also have pictures from the last time it was down. One thing is that the welds and structure at the mast head, spreaders and halyard winches probably require considerable skill and knowledge to get right.

You are welcome to "private message" me.

Attachments

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Selden mast is the current builder for Hunter boats and with proper measurements from a measurement sheet supplied by Selden, they can price out a replacement for you. You just have to get to a Selden regional distributor in your area to accomplish this.

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter 1980 37c Illinois
Thanks, I have a quote coming for a Selden mast... anyone care to guess the cost $$ of an entire new mast?

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter 1980 37c Illinois
We will be having our mast down for re rigging some time during the next 2 months. I also have pictures from the last time it was down. One thing is that the welds and structure at the mast head, spreaders and halyard winches probably require considerable skill and knowledge to get right.

You are welcome to "private message" me.
It would be nice to get some accurate measurements and angles pics!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Rick, are the aluminum partners still on the boat, the plates inside and outside that show the size and shape of the Kenyon mast? How about the step on the keel, still there? Very doubtful that Selden could shape a mast to fit. Their masts are so much lighter than our Kenyons. I figured that you would get better information from here on HOW than I could provide from my boat with the mast up. Still think there has to be a boneyard somewhere with a mast. But it has to be an H37C unless the H36 was also keel-stepped.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Ed, the H36 mast is deck-stepped, so its a no-go for our boats. There was a used H37C spar in Quebec a couple of years ago, but I lost track of it. As you say, there must be some around somewhere in North America. I don't know if RigRite can still provide the Kenyon extrusions? I imagine they would be pricey....

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Speaking as a professional, I am NOT any fan of Selden spars for reasons too numerous to detail here. Suffice to say they will not have the proper mast section but will sell you on what they regularly make rather than making a mast for you. They sell their own parts; they are NOT in the refitting-older-boats-with-original-type-spars business. Most of their sections are rather oversized, clunky-looking, especially up to where they do not taper the spar till after the last hook-in shroud attachment (on your 37C that'll be about 2-3 feet above the inner forestay's attachment). They eschew shroud tangs and incline towards big slots and hook-in bolts. It's very Erector-Set-looking and very noisy. Their main business is in supplying Beneteau and Catalina with 15/16 fractional rigs using a limited number of 'stock' in-mast-furling spar sections. You get what you pay for.

I would suggest looking up actual sparmakers. My first choice would be Dwyer Aluminum Mast Co. Their biggest section may suffice. See their web site and give them a call (and tell them I sent you! ;)).

If DAMCo cannot do it, I can think of Charleston Spars (conventional) and Hall Spars (racing, carbon-fiber). There is a place on the West Coast whose name I forget. The Wichard group are based in or near Charleston SC and they make nice spars too. Sadly, Metalmast, Schaefer Spars, and Kenyon are all out of the business. Rig-Rite tend to be VERY expensive, even on shipping-- I'd avoid them unless you're sure they have an exact replacement in stock and can ship reasonably quickly and cheaply.

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter 1980 37c Illinois
Rick, are the aluminum partners still on the boat, the plates inside and outside that show the size and shape of the Kenyon mast? How about the step on the keel, still there? Very doubtful that Selden could shape a mast to fit. Their masts are so much lighter than our Kenyons. I figured that you would get better information from here on HOW than I could provide from my boat with the mast up. Still think there has to be a boneyard somewhere with a mast. But it has to be an H37C unless the H36 was also keel-stepped.
Yes- the first 8 feet with step is still in the boat-

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter 1980 37c Illinois
This is all (replies) interesting- rig rite seems to be the problem here... at least for me.
The Hunter store associated with this forum sent me directly to Selden... I will follow up on recommendations and check the other spar makers as well.
That spar may be in a boneyard- but until someone posts their inventory online- may be tough to search... I do have some time on my side.
Thanks all!