Need a "double" block at the mast base

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Pictures aren't so great, but I think they work. I'd like to replace one of these single blocks with a double to turn my Dutchman line into the cockpit. I will add a cleat to secure it. It would make the admiral more at ease if I can adjust it from there.
Not sure if you can see it, they screw into the baseplate. I think they are Schaefer. Anyone have a source for a double block? Thanks.
blocks2.jpgblocks1.jpg

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Those look like US Spars blocks, why a double to lead to the Dutchman line?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Those look like US Spars blocks, why a double to lead to the Dutchman block?
Right now the line is cleated on the mast, but I have enough line to run it aft. The main reason for so much line is so I can lower it enough to get at the upper filament clamps when I remove the sail for the winter.
All of the tapped holes on the base are occupied. I figure, just double up on one.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I would suggest you use two single blocks as it would be most difficult to fairlead two different lines through one block.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I would suggest you use two single blocks as it would be most difficult to fairlead two different lines through one block.
good point. I just need to figure out how to piggyback onto a full baseplate. Worse case I attach it to the mast above the existing blocks. But then it could be a trip hazard

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Grey ones look like zspar blocks - a nut mounts on the underside of the mast step. From your pics it looks like you should have at least one open slot on the port side I suspect one on the starboard side as well - but not clear from pic. (Small Hole in mast step between block closest to bow and the next one aft)

(Not sure which size you have.)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Justin_NSA

Z spar and US Spars are one in the same.
Look to see if there are additional holes in the mast base. If so, order the single block as a double would interfere with the singles

call Dave in sales at U S Spars. He has been around a long time and knows his stuff

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
@Justin_NSA

Z spar and US Spars are one in the same.
Look to see if there are additional holes in the mast base. If so, order the single block as a double would interfere with the singles

call Dave in sales at U S Spars. He has been around a long time and knows his stuff
Agree. That's where I got the ones for the Beneteau to replace the OEM worn out ones. Didn't look for a double but I'll bet they have them. Not cheap BTW.

386-462-3760
800-928-0786
386-462-3448 fax

US Spars Inc.
6320 NW 123rd Place
Gainesville, FL 32653

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks for the input. There are no more holes available, that’s why I am looking to double up on one. Wouldn't be much of a load tensioning the filament lines. I'll look this weekend but I'm pretty sure these thread into the base.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
When you’re there this weekend have a close look at the following areas. Red circle appears to be a position for a block. It may be filled with debris, but would be right positionally from your other blocks. The yellow circled areas indicate where the captured nut slides in under the mast step for the block stud to screw into.

It did take me some time to figure out how the system worked on our 260. It has positions for 8 blocks - the same as your grey blocks. Can’t imagine a 30 having less positions than a 260!

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Hi Justin, if I understand your intent, an alternative might look like this: Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

This has worked well for us by moving the topping lift working end that supports the Dutchman system to the boom end.
Hi Terry. That's not a bad idea except I hope to update the setup I have already: the Dutchman/topping lift comes down from inside the mast and cleats about 4' from the deck. It's not really a topping lift anymore since the PO installed a boomkicker. Now the line just supports the 2 clamps for the 2 filaments that capture the mainsail. I have a LOT of what looks like excess line so I can let it out to reach the filament clamps every year when I stow the sail for the winter. For me, that process works better than unfastening the filament at the foot.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
When you’re there this weekend have a close look at the following areas. Red circle appears to be a position for a block. It may be filled with debris, but would be right positionally from your other blocks. The yellow circled areas indicate where the captured nut slides in under the mast step for the block stud to screw into.
I will doublecheck and take some better pictures. I need to clean out the baseplate drain hole anyway.
My memory isn't what it was. :what:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Justin: Here is a close up of my mast base - A Z-Spars (US Spars) mast. Note the slot cutout. The bolt on the block goes through the hole in the base (not threaded) and the slot is where the nut slips into and becomes a captured nut.

B F310 Mast Base IMG_20150111_142254628_HDR.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You guys are so right! About the distractions too John!
I went out today and checked. They look just like JRacer shows. Here are a couple pics I took. I even have two positions left. One on either side. All of them are ZSpars. About 2.25".

Beautiful day at the lake. Saw a couple bald eagles in the trees along the boatyard. They are pretty commonplace this time of year. I think they avoid the tourists.

20230127_120913.jpg20230127_120900.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Ordered my p/n Z-272 turning block from Rig-Rite today. Holy crap! $107 with shipping!
Just need to install a cleat on the cabin top next

Looks like this Z-275 but with a smaller stud:

Z-turning_blocks.html_txt_zsp-275.gif

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Dutchman line project complete: I used the new mast base turning block lead my line back to the cockpit. Next I mounted a V-Cleat onto my cabin top clutch assembly. Now I can operate the Dutchman without going to the mast. The angle piece is stainless steel. Had to get 2 longer bolts to mount it to the clutch assembly.
20230811_101934.jpg

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
If you want to add another block, whether it be single or double, you have to utilize one of the holes in the mast plate bolted to the deck (and I saw one available hole in one of your pictures). If you can find the piece that fits into that hole, it has to be inserted from the bottom, which means you have to remove the mast and then unbolt and lift the mast base to do so, which is a lot of work for one block. So, if I get your question right, you are thinking of replacing a single block with a double to do the job. Schaefer made some swivel blocks that accommodated a shackle which could be removed and then a clevis pin be inserted in the hole of the block swivel part which also went through the pin from the mast plate. You'd just have to see if you have the clearance to do so.