Need a boat club near Baltimore

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Moved to Maryland recently and am now looking for a boat club to join. One that allows working on your boat on the premises and also one that expenses for a 20-foot boat would not exceed around $3000 per year including winter storage. Would be nice if there were a sizable group of sailboat owners. Needs to be located between Annapolis and 20 miles north of Baltimore to keep my travel time down to an hour or less from Owings Mills Md. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Lots of marinas...................do you want to be closer to the Middle River where I have sailed out of many times? Lucky you as you have a lot more options than we have in the San Francisco Bay.

1597177887818.png

1597177760287.png

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
One of the least expensive marinas (I assume you're including marinas when you say clubs) is White Rocks Marina in Pasadena. Plenty of sailboats, nice modern piers and bathhouse, a restaurant on-site. Also very do-it-yourself friendly, more so than most yards. We've been there since 2005.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
You say you are looking for a "boat club", but if you already own a sailboat, you need a marina to keep it in the water and a boat yard to store it over the winter and work on it when it is out of the water. Before we bought the 2 sailboats that we have owned, we were members of the Getaway Sailing Club at the Baltimore Marine Center Marina in the Canton area of Baltimore harbor. They operated an ASA Sailing School and had a fleet of small open cockpit boats and cruising sailboats that are available for club member use. I think they may have been taken over by one of the larger sailing schools, but may still be in operations. When we bought out own sailboat, we rented a slip at Oak Harbor Marina in Rock Creek near the mouth of the Patapsco River in Pasadena, MD. We have now been there for 13 years. It is a small (99 slips) family owned marina and boat yard that allows you to work on your own boat, both in the water and in the boat yard. It is well protected from storms and heavy winds, has deep water at the docks (8-12 ft) and a very helpful yard crew. Attached is a Google Maps link showing the marina location and contact information. (You may need to copy the link into your browser)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Married? Single (singlesonsailboats.org). 400+ people. There has been a slip in Back Creek, Annapolis for 200$. 30 foot, I'm sure, but the slip next door must be a 40, so has a piling ten feet out from the 30. The gal lives overseas, and today she has not rented it for this year. $200 was the last price I heard. Slip B8 at Severn House Condos, Fairview Ave 21403

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Thank you all for your input. I'm going to investigate the marinas in your suggestions. I am actually an older, very experienced sailor, and have owned 9 boats over the years (many). But I didn't have the inclination to visit EVERY marina so thank you to the people who responded to my inquiry. It will save me tons of looking time.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
You say you are looking for a "boat club", but if you already own a sailboat, you need a marina to keep it in the water and a boat yard to store it over the winter and work on it when it is out of the water. Before we bought the 2 sailboats that we have owned, we were members of the Getaway Sailing Club at the Baltimore Marine Center Marina in the Canton area of Baltimore harbor. They operated an ASA Sailing School and had a fleet of small open cockpit boats and cruising sailboats that are available for club member use. I think they may have been taken over by one of the larger sailing schools, but may still be in operations. When we bought out own sailboat, we rented a slip at Oak Harbor Marina in Rock Creek near the mouth of the Patapsco River in Pasadena, MD. We have now been there for 13 years. It is a small (99 slips) family owned marina and boat yard that allows you to work on your own boat, both in the water and in the boat yard. It is well protected from storms and heavy winds, has deep water at the docks (8-12 ft) and a very helpful yard crew. Attached is a Google Maps link showing the marina location and contact information. (You may need to copy the link into your browser)

Ah! Bob R is right around the corner from me, in the same creek! Oak Harbor marina is prettier than White Rocks, and more protected, but I suspect a bit pricier. I would definitely consider going there if I had the money. White Rocks used to be a bit more cold and businesslike with their clients, but with new management they seem quite nice lately. They have a private Facebook page now which is very active, in which the slip holders are very much looking out for each other and each other's boats ("hey, I fixed your dock line which was undone...", etc., that sort of thing).

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Maryland Yacht Club on the Patapsco has a restaurant, nice marina, pumpout, fuel, and is next to Mike's Restaurant !

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
:plus:For Oak Harbor. Nice, well protected marina on a pretty creek, close to the bay, knowledgeable and friendly staff, full range of services available. 30-45 minutes from Owings Mills depending on how fast you drive and traffic.