Neck deep in the Dark Side

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Well, i knew it was coming sooner or later but didnt expect sooner...Last summer,Admiral admitted she is not feeling the love anymore,at age 71 halyards and rocking and rolling (23 ft. boat) on the foredeck isnt as much fun as it used to be. I found out the hard way that when momma aint happy, bad things happen. That was how i became available to be the Admirals current husband! So, a shopping we will go, or,went. Put a deposit on a 21 ft. Carolona Skiff walkaround ( actually pretty rare) with a Yamaha 2 stroke HPDI. today. So, I am also here with some questions: First boat with two batteries ans a 1,2,all switch. If i put a trickle charger /maintainer on 1 battery,leave switch on,will it benefit both batteries? Next, i have heard of a website where i can type in the engine serial number to get a history,anyone heard of that? Other than that, i plan to keep lurking here in a place that has been great over the years and has generated some pen pals i dearly hope to meet some day, and met some at Annapolis a few years back. Also gonna try again to work at the Annapolis shows this fall and perhaps meet there again.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I went there for a while. It was really fun. You can get places in less than a day. Are you going to sell the sail boat or will you become bi(nautical)?

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 coming soon to a classified ad near you! ( We are in Middle River.) Looking forward to meeting friends for lunch in Tollchester without having to leave to get there at dawn!:) Actually, this will be hard for me ,recently retired, then covid and weather pretty much wiped out the season as you know,was looking forward to last summer sooo much!

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Haha. From my experiences in Florida, the weather you hated as a sailor (flat calm with little wind) will become your favorite. You can blast across the bay for a leisurely lunch at Waterman's in Rock Hall and be back by dinner.

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, used to look forward to them as they kept everyone t our speed.:)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
First boat with two batteries ans a 1,2,all switch. If i put a trickle charger /maintainer on 1 battery,leave switch on,will it benefit both batteries?
The only ways to have the charger charge both batteries are either:
- Have a dual output charger wired to both
- Leave the switch on “both” (which carries its own risk of one battery fails badly)
- Have ask automatic charging relay to isolate the batteries when they’re not being charged but parallel them when they are.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
The no wake zones do become frustrating though.
Both of bawlmer's responses are right on target. Let me add this.....You will need to be aware of those pesky "rag boaters" who have no regard for your desperate need to get quickly to where you are going! Enjoy the new boat!

Jul 13, 2010
Both of bawlmer's responses are right on target. Let me add this.....You will need to be aware of those pesky "rag boaters" who have no regard for your desperate need to get quickly to where you are going! Enjoy the new boat!
I have met the enemy,and he is me!!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I sure don't see a 'dark' side to power boating, if it will keep me on the water longer.
They are certainly a lot more comfortable and convenient to live on than a small sailboat, and they probably won't cost all that much more to operate, all things considered.
My "lotto" boat sure would, though. 18 knots cruising and stabilizers that keep my coffee at hand on the dash in 10 to 12 foot swells on the beam. All the while lounging comfortably in my $3k hydraulic chair with climate control and some '60s rock on the sound system.
73' Hatteras.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Capta... If you had the funds to own that boat you could have someone young varnish to your hearts content.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Capta... If you had the funds to own that boat you could have someone young varnish to your hearts content.
Don't want to have them aboard or stop any one place long enough to get it done.
I actually ran and maintained that Hatteras model alone and it wasn't all that bad. My wife and I could do it easily.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Put a deposit on a 21 ft. Carolona Skiff walkaround ( actually pretty rare) with a Yamaha 2 stroke HPDI. today.
When you do cross over, please maintain your courtesy and seamanship. You will be one of a kind amongst the powerboating jackasses :mad:.