Navonics App, AIS & WiFi GPS

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
There doesn't seem to be a lot of choices for a VHF with AIS Receiver and GPS in the $400 range. If the RS35 is discontinued, the GX 2200 is it, possibly with the YakBitz.

That being tentatively decided, is there another 0183 accessory/sensor I should consider in conjunction with the above?

I have a Raymarine depth finder. I'll have to check the model and see if it can be hooked up.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
OK.... Now your are venturing outside your initial comfort zone.

In looking at my sailing area. I decided on having Transponder AIS, reception AIS, use of a depth finder, and all on my iPad/laptop.

Purchased the SH GX2200 with the remote mike at the cockpit, the Vesper XB8000 (AIS transponder), the Vesper splitter and tuned antenna, the Raymarine iTC5 interface, and Seatalkng network wiring.

This gives me redundant GPS/AIS receive abilities. A transponder sending my AIS signal to big boats listening, A solid VHF radio with VHF radio priority on the antenna, The depth transducer signal into the Seatalkng network which when connected to the Vesper XB8000 broadcasts a WiFi data signal to my iPhone/iPad/Laptop and places all of the data on my iNavx App. It also lets me see the data on my laptop charting software (pc based - Coastal Explorer - one of the nicest software based charting systems I have used).

It is an integrated system. The parts were purchased over about 3 months from various sources that gave me good deals. It has worked flawlessly over the past 3 years with great support.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I was a little disappointed that the GX2200 was NEMA 0183. Took that VHF off my wish list. Now thinking about the GX6000 which does have NEMA 2000.

Oct 6, 2018
I was a little disappointed that the GX2200 was NEMA 0183. Took that VHF off my wish list. Now thinking about the GX6000 which does have NEMA 2000.
Is the 6000 available? Does it have GPS? I've seen conflicting information.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The GPS Store shows it in stock. Appears to have same features as 2200 but adds NEMA2000.

Oct 6, 2018
The GPS Store shows it in stock. Appears to have same features as 2200 but adds NEMA2000.
Not much more than the 2200. So this is my first choice. Now need to choose a NMEA Wifi bridge.

Oct 22, 2014
So for some 90 bucks you get some cool new features in the GX6000. The wireless 65 foot radio connection is cool. The radio connecting directly to NEMA 2000 makes the link up to many plotters good,. It may be a redundant connection if ou are already broadcasting nema0183 sensor data on the nema2000 network. But I am never one to shirk from another backup connection. It will be a simple thing to see and use the plotter to make a radio connection to an AIS target on the screen. That alone would be worth the $90. Of course if you have AIS in the radio, you do not need the plotter to make the call you just select the target on the radio screen and push the "Connect me" button. But that is just me figuring out my already purchased hardware.

I love the innovation of new hardware.

Oct 22, 2014
Hi @pipedream . Pugetopolis? LOL..
Yes Milltech is a really cool company they have helped me out with some of my electronics. Now they are strictly an Internet company. I think the owner is off in Hawaii. Saw him last January at the Seattle Boat show.

Oct 22, 2014
Perhaps the best feature of this GX6000 radio is the 2 minute recording feature. There is nothing like pitching about is a bad storm approaching a lee shore, hearing the surf break, and trying to call for help but not being able to hear the reply.. You just record the reply and you can play it back as many times as is needed to know that the Coast Guard helicopter is just 5 minutes away and to be sure everyone is wearing their PFD.

Jul 18, 2015
South P10 Pugetopolis
Hi @pipedream . Pugetopolis? LOL..
Yes Milltech is a really cool company they have helped me out with some of my electronics. Now they are strictly an Internet company. I think the owner is off in Hawaii. Saw him last January at the Seattle Boat show.
Actually, they moved the business from Seattle back to their house in Pt Orchard. Always on the phone when I have a question, and always has solutions that work right the first time.

Working our way up north soon, will look out for some of you, when we cross the county line.

Oct 22, 2014
Sounds good. I am at home in Salem doing Cat care while my wife is visiting family. Hoping to get out in September. Will look for a stray wandering the waters.

Oct 6, 2018
So now that I have two good VHFs to choose from, the GX2200 and GX6000, I started looking into the NMEA Wifi Gateway and found this:

Vyacht NMEA2000/0183/Seatalk Router

I like open source, and this has NMEA2000, 0183, and Seatalk 1 and NG.
So my Raymarine I40 depth sounder data can be added.

Anyone heard of this or better yet own one?

Oct 22, 2014
Not me... but I'll be interest4ed in your experience should you choose that route.
I have a friend that favors stuff from YachtDevices.

This unit looks interesting with a modes $170 wish price tag. With "hundreds " of boats around the world using his hardware, sounds like a happy family.

Let us know how it works out. Maybe we can grow that to thousands...

Oct 6, 2018
I've been looking into vyacht and the website and it's github have not been updated in more that 10 years. It does:however look like they are still selling the router. I've sent them an inquiry through their contact us page and am waiting for a response. We will see.

Oct 6, 2018
My email to Vyacht has gon unanswered.

My wife and I just bought tickets to the Annapolis Boat Show. As far as the wifi bridge goes, I think I'll see what I see there.

Oct 22, 2014
That is a lot of fun... You’ll see all sorts of interesting stuff. Might want to put your wallet in the hotel safe while walking around. Easy to go home much lighter.

Jul 16, 2018
s2 st 30 lanoka harbure
i have the quark-exec AIS NMEA 2000 working with my RaymarineAxiom unit
You can use splitter it is cheaper to purchase to purchase VHF antenna
THE AIS I know they have wifi unit that work with tablet

If you wish to know how the network NMEA unit work i can help you

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
You can’t have too many gadgets. I like redundancy. I’ve been using a mil tech marine 161 for more than 10 years. Simple and works great. Want to upgrade to the Vesper 8000 that will talk to Garmen and iPad. Also looking at yakbitz . Links Seatalk to everything else. Are any of you reading Panbo, he does good research on electronics.

Oct 22, 2014
@dirt rd Yes on the Panbo reviews.
I have had a Vesper XB8000 for 3 years. Great tool. Solid performer. Great support from the NZ staff. Gives a solid Gateway for up to 5 connections.