Navionics CF cards

Jul 6, 2017
Hunter H 41DS Hampton, VA
Captains:
I am moving a 2006 H41 with a Raymarine C80 chartplotter from RI to Hampton, VA. I noticed that the Navionics CF card in the C80 is for Canada and the Northeast US. It doesn't include MD and VA charts on the card.

Any suggestions on where and how to get the charts I need installed?

Thanks all.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Do you have a computer with CF reader capability. If so go to the Navionics website and you can purchase an update to get the latest charts and select the region you require. Navionics US & Canada covers most of North America. Would be a good idea to update the charts anyways.

If you don't hace CF reader, I purchased an updated CF card, mine was 256mb and the update included a 2gb card and a USB CF card reader.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I don't have as CF drive that would allow me to download charts to a CF card but I have had success finding CF cards with charts on e-bay. There are generally a few years old so relying on them as your only navigation source is a bit iffy but when combined with other sources they are helpful. If you bought a drive as suggested by Scott B you could update them.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
You can purchase a cf reader / drive, inexpensively, that plugs into a USB port on your computer.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Glad you found what you needed. Now, for the CF card issue. Don't fret over this. You can put data on any type of SD card and use a CF adapter. Determine if the plotter requires a Type I or Type II CF Card. Get the appropriate adapter and use any size SD card. Or, get a MicroSD card, the associated SD adapter then the appropriate CF adapter. There are 60 ways to leave you lover, you know.

Sep 20, 2006
Glad you found what you needed. Now, for the CF card issue. Don't fret over this. You can put data on any type of SD card and use a CF adapter. Determine if the plotter requires a Type I or Type II CF Card. Get the appropriate adapter and use any size SD card. Or, get a MicroSD card, the associated SD adapter then the appropriate CF adapter. There are 60 ways to leave you lover, you know.
It has to be a Navionics card to get the charts. They all have a serial number.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
So ... how about you computer/ Navionics geniuses give me step by step instructions on how to update the various Navionics used cards that I have purchased off of e-bay. For example which drive /adapter to buy and how to go to the Navionics sight and download then install updates. Every time I look to do it I just get frustrated with the lack of clarity for non- computer literate people such as myself. I have three older CF cards for the ... Eastern Great lakes .... East Coast ... and Florida. By the way Breezin I spent two months last summer cruising around the Bruce Peninsula and the North Channel

Sep 20, 2006
Go here and download the Chart Installer. Once Chart Installer opens plug in your card and you can enter your credit card to update the card and gives you 1 year of updates. If you run into problems, they have a live chat to help out. They are very good, she was on chat with me yesterday activating a new card.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
It’s been a few years since I did the upgrade, so I am not up to date on the update procedure, so this info may not be 100% correct. I used a San disk card, preferably one that is 256mb or less, I used a 128mb. I was cautioned that the processor in the C80 does not work well with larger cards. In years past you were able to buy cards for a general region, ie. Gulf Coast, Southern Florida & Bahamas. Now you basically purchase the entire US & Bahamas and select the regions that you desire up to the capacity of your card. Again, don’t go over 256mb cause it isn’t going to work on the C80. Once you download the data from Navionics onto your computer and onto the card, simply install the card in your C80 . Beware that you have to update the firmware on the C80 before upgrading to the new charts. That involves a free download from Raymarine onto a separate cf card (64mb card) and installing the upgrade on the C80, prior to installing the new charts. The final firmware update was a few years ago, and Raymarine has discontinued any further updates. I don’t have that update volume number readily available. I think that there are instructions for each procedure on the net and possibly on you tube. I had the good fortune of finding a new navionics cf card reader, several years ago, on EBay. You might try there; however, they are very difficult to find. I purchased the navionics chart update from landfall navigation.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
It has to be a Navionics card to get the charts. They all have a serial number.
Well, that sucks. That would be like updating the maps in my BMW and I have to use a BMW serialized memory card. Just isn't worth it. (By the way, one can use any memory card to updates the maps in their BMW. Was using it as an example).

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I used San Disk cards; however, I did use a navionics card reader.....don’t know if that makes any difference or not.

Sep 20, 2006
It’s been a few years since I did the upgrade, so I am not up to date on the update procedure, so this info may not be 100% correct. I used a San disk card, preferably one that is 256mb or less, I used a 128mb. I was cautioned that the processor in the C80 does not work well with larger cards. In years past you were able to buy cards for a general region, ie. Gulf Coast, Southern Florida & Bahamas. Now you basically purchase the entire US & Bahamas and select the regions that you desire up to the capacity of your card. Again, don’t go over 256mb cause it isn’t going to work on the C80. Once you download the data from Navionics onto your computer and onto the card, simply install the card in your C80 . Beware that you have to update the firmware on the C80 before upgrading to the new charts. That involves a free download from Raymarine onto a separate cf card (64mb card) and installing the upgrade on the C80, prior to installing the new charts. The final firmware update was a few years ago, and Raymarine has discontinued any further updates. I don’t have that update volume number readily available. I think that there are instructions for each procedure on the net and possibly on you tube. I had the good fortune of finding a new navionics cf card reader, several years ago, on EBay. You might try there; however, they are very difficult to find. I purchased the navionics chart update from landfall navigation.

Navionics sent me a 2GB card to replace my 256mb card. That was for a Raymarine 435 chartplotter which is older than the C80. I only
Well, that sucks. That would be like updating the maps in my BMW and I have to use a BMW serialized memory card. Just isn't worth it. (By the way, one can use any memory card to updates the maps in their BMW. Was using it as an example).
They are selling the product on the card not the end product I.e. Raymarine plotters. It's the only way to restrict unlimited use. And your BMW, you already paid way too much so the updates should be free. :)

Jul 6, 2017
I now understand that the C80 will not read newer CF cards for downloaded firmware updates. pre-loaded firmware cards that are compatible with the C80 are available from RadarMarine.com
Call and talk to Rob 360 733 2012

Jul 6, 2017
I now understand that the C80 will not read newer CF cards for downloaded firmware updates. pre-loaded firmware cards that are compatible with the C80 are available from RadarMarine.com
Call and talk to Rob 360 733 2012 here Raymarine Software Update

Sep 20, 2006
Call and talk to Rob 360 733 2012 here Raymarine Software Update
I don't understand why not. Maybe they're trying to sell something??

Jul 6, 2017
you get a compatible CF card with the last firmware updates (so it can read the newer charts) for $55. Not a bad deal if it works and you don't have a compatible CF card. Then you need to buy the required chart regions.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Navionics sent me a 2GB card to replace my 256mb card. That was for a Raymarine 435 chartplotter which is older than the C80.
The last firmware update from Raymarine for the C80 is version V5.16. In reading the firmware update instructions on ray’s update site, it specifically states to NOT use a CF card over 128 MB for the firmware update or bad things may happen to your plotter! After the firmware update is completed, you may use a somewhat larger card to update the navionics map; however, you have to update the firmware first. I used a either a 64 or 128MB San Disk CF card to perform the firmware update. I purchased the smaller San Disk cards on EBay for less than $10. As I mentioned previously, Raymarine provides the update free of charge. Another way around this would be to ask your local Raymarine dealer for a firmware update card.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
And your BMW, you already paid way too much so the updates should be free. :)
Well, you are differently entitled to your opine and I do respect that. (by the way, the maps are free if one knows how to download and then update)

Me personally, I would use a device that is compatible with the NOAA charts that are also free to download. I do not know if there are any commercially available devices that are "marine certified" that will use the NOAA charts.

Anyway, good luck with the upgrade and updating the maps, and, your sojourn to your next destination port.