Navik windvane on a Y25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
Hey Furdui, you must be telepathic ! Actually what you see in the pics is my kayak rack on the swim ladder.
I do have a Navik windvane that has yet to be installed. It is going to take a lot of head scratching to figure out how to attach it centerline (as it should be) while retaining the swim ladder. Presently I'm thinking of a swing away affair (similar to an SUV tire carrier) approach.
The Navik is the only windvane I've found that seemed properly sized for the 25' boat range,is period accurate to my 1978, and has a proven track record. Finding one is the trick. Found mine on e-Bay and had to jump on it. I had been looking for quite a while and was leaning toward the "Mr. Vee" when I found the Navik. I'll be sure to Photo doc the installation but it is a ways off as daily life seem to be getting in the way all the time.
I have an Autohelm st1000 on the boat right now- that is what lead me to the Navik as I really enjoy not having to drive full time. You may want to try that route and see if self steering agrees with you- The autohelm works fine when conditions are right and is easy to install.
If anyone has experience with the Navik I'd like to hear from you!
Furdui ,drop me a line when your in the LA area my e-mail is syntonossailor@yahoo.com .

Syntonos
Lyn

furdui

Jun 4, 2011
Yamaha 25 MkII Sugar Bay Lake Macquarie
Yes,I am a telepathic "click Syntonos-modifications-bingo:navik wind vane!"

I do have a Autohelm st1000,too slow,good on lake,waves to 1 m,but on open waters, it is a fair weather device only.I even replaced the DC motor,inside the unit, with a Maxon 8000rpm(no load speed),approx 30 mNm,but when a lot of push is needed,it is still to slow.

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
YUP

I agree -- I use it when conditions are right or when motorsailing - engine running /no battery drain... looking forward to playing with the Navik .
Keep prodding and I'll move it up the priority list ( to many hobbies).

Status
Not open for further replies.