Nav table

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
I have a 1993 Hunter 33.5 the nav table top has received water damage to the veneer. Does anyone know what type of veneer Hunter used? Was it Mahogany or ?
I have tried sanding it but I'm concerned about sanding to much and the stain is still there
thanks
Don

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Don,
It is a pain when our boats sustain damage to the beautiful wood. Being an older boat owner, I am not blessed with a resource to remember 20 years ago what varnish/stain/wood was used. I resort to the tools furniture and antique wood projects have been used to give a damaged piece new life.

A picture or two would be helpful to generate suggestions. As is often the case for boats, thin veneer plywood was used. It is easy to sand right through the veneer. Stains often go right through the veneer into the plywood. Sanding is futile in such a case. You might look at bleaching the stain and then trying to recolor the wood. My experience has been mostly almost similar.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Don,
I think the Nav table on my ‘88, 33.5 had teak veneer. If you sand thru the veneer the appearance will be worse than the stain. Options are to re-stain the entire top to minimize / blend coloration & seal, replace veneer only, reconstruct the top with new teak plywood, or cover with Formica plastic laminate to match galley counter tops. Haven’t seen it up close; however, I think I would opt for option #1.