Nav Lights for a trailerable with deck-stepped mast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2008
Hunter 20 Wilmington
Can I get a few descriptions of how folks have configured nav lights for their small boat? I plan on a bi-color (Attwood LED), stern(LED), top-of-mast anchor (Davis Mega-light), and something for a masthead (Perko is what I've found) for my 20'. My goal is minimal power draw since it will be run for 2-3 days at a time on one 75 Ah AGM battery, in addition to other things. Is all this necessary? (If I interpret the USCG specs, then I really only need a visible flashlight unless I'm motoring). How do folks have it set up for the mast that gets raised and dropped regularly? Are wires run thru the mast or on the outside? Do pop rivets hold a fixture in well? I don't wanna reinvent the wheel, so thanks for your input.

Nov 28, 2004
Hunter 310 San Pedro
Running Lights

Derelicte, First thing to understand is that your battery will safely provide 25 to 35 ah without a recharge source. You mention both an anchor light and a masthead light. If the "masthead light" is intended as a steaming light it does not have to be at the masthead, it should be 2/3 up the mast, if fractional rig just above the headstay. Run the wires through the mast with slack at the exit at the base with a female watertight plug, 3-wires for two lights, common ground. Install male portion of watertight plug in deck adjacent to mast.

J

JungleJetJock

Running light

Wal-mart (I hate that place but it's cheap) also sells portable, clamp on type nav lights. It is basically a flashlight with a bi-color lens that clamps on to the bow pulpit. They are C or D cell battery powered and very cheap. That would probably be the easiest, cheapest, non-drainer of the house battery. You could also run a battery powered lantern up the mast with a halyard for an anchor light if you don't want to do any wiring or worry about the house battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.