Nautitech Catamarans

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
So, looking into possibilities for the "next" life. You know--sailboat, motor boat, motor home, rest home. Maybe a Nautitech Catamaran--say, the 40 ft--is a compromise solution for space, comfort, and "speed" before the final stop in "the sequence." It's actually still a sailboat, after all. Anyone have any knowledge, experience or anecdotes with 'em? I was told there was one or more of 'em at the Annapolis boat show this year. A Bavaria Yachtbau product, it appears, but built in France.

KG

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I like the low center of effort, especially compared to other modern cats. The exposed helm and tiny salon makes it impractical as a liveaboard, long term cruiser in my opinion.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Perhaps you have already seen this review but thought I would post.

This video reviews the 46 with flybridge and the 40.
Interesting point the woman made about a lot of catamarans having a somewhat airless cockpit area - not sure if that is true but certainly a consideration.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Starting to look like a “warm weather” design?
So I live in the Caribbean in a small mono (Catalina 310). Even when I look at the boat it's just not a great liveaboard for down here even. Believe it or not, you will adapt and be cold in warm climates. We used to live in Boston, including living aboard in the winter. I would walk up the dock in shorts and sandals during snow storms. But on night passages in the Caribbean I duck under the dodger and peak out for my watches.

And in the mornings I like to have the first half of my coffee below before moving up to the cockpit. So the lack of a real salon area would be disappointing to me.

If the exposed helm doesn't bother you, look at the Catanas. They will sail circles around the Nautitechs

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I get the appeal of a cat from a stability and increase of livable space. As I age I’m finding that although I’m still physically capable of doing most of what I did when I was younger the amount of effort has increased with a corresponding reduction in enthusiasm ;)

Perhaps a charter of a cat is called for to truly evaluate the option :)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I get the appeal of a cat from a stability and increase of livable space. As I age I’m finding that although I’m still physically capable of doing most of what I did when I was younger the amount of effort has increased with a corresponding reduction in enthusiasm ;)

Perhaps charter of a cat is called for to truly evaluate the option :)
Yeah. I was recently looking at multi-hull charter opportunities here in LB and nearby San Diego. There are several bare-boat models available in SD, but not Nautitech. Maybe just a visit to survey shoreside as a start.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Yeah. I was recently looking at multi-hull charter opportunities here in LB and nearby San Diego. There are several bare-boat models available in SD, but not Nautitech. Maybe just a visit to survey shoreside as a start.
I don’t know how the charter business works but assume they would let prospective clients have a look around at the dock at least or perhaps even a short test sail. Sort of like going to open houses when looking at real estate.
The only downside you would end up on their marketing list! ;)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Charter companies do eventually sell their boats. I don't think the boats are that old - maybe less than 5 years. You could contact some of the companies and see what they have coming up for sale. Then a test sail would be part of the process.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The Nautitech interests me b/c a friend on his, at least, 4th catamaran just got a 46 Open and is moving it down the east coast to the Caribbean this season. He’s raced and won many competitions in ORCA class “along the way.” A fan (and live-aboard) of French designed & French-built cruising cats. So, I figure that’s a decent testimonial for the model.

I admit being intrigued by crusing catamarans for their comparatively more room and speed over monohulls of same length and weight; but, I haven’t thought of owning one—until recently. Admiral seems neutral. The specs on the Nautitech 40 Open put it at about 18700# on 39’ of waterline. Looking further into this, there appears to be a 2018 model listed for sale in San Diego.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For comparison my H356 was listed with 13,900 lbs. displacement on a 30.5 waterline. That's about 78% waterline and 74% of displacement. Just a data point. Personally, if I were a live aboard I think a catamaran would be what I want.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
My Bavaria is about 32 ft of waterline but only 15,800# displacement. The Nautitech Open 40 has two 30-hp Volvo’s; the Bavaria a 39-hp Yanmar.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So stating the obvious , your Bravaria 39 is lighter than the Nautitect 40. That is surprising to me since catamarans are noted to displace less than monohulls with a keel.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The Lagoon 400, about the same waterline length, is a couple of tons more displacement over the Open 40, according to SailboatData.com.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Link to the Open 40 webpage. Looks like it’s up for an award as well.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
as you look into catamarans let us know your opinions from what you learn. i know little of modern cruising cats

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The most appealing cruising cat we have seen for newer boats is the post 2018 Leopard 40. The owners version has great living and storage space. I sailed on one and we were doing 9-10 knots on a broad reach. And I'm a lazy sailor. I don't spend a lot of time setting the sails. I set the autopilot on windvane mode for the general direction I want to go, spend 5 minutes setting the sails and then spend more time fishing then sailing.