Nature encounter stories

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have come close (or them to my boat LOL) to whales, belugas, turtles, porpoises, and sharks. Flying fish and seagulls have landed on my boat several times, but the strangest encounter happened while crossing from Sept-Iles to Sainte-Anne-des-Monts on the lower St.Lawrence river, a 65 nm trip. About midway, a small, very tired land bird decided to get some rest on the boat. Got so familiar and confident of its safety that he (or she ?) visited inside, then got out again and perched on my shoulder. We fed him some cereals but he preferred pecking at the lines. He stayed with us until landfall several hours later, then flew to a nearby lawn at the marina, where we saw a big tomcat on the prowl. The next morning we discovered what looked like the remnants of the poor bird. Nature life is not easy !!!
Looks like a house wren.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
More milkweed “maybe” more monarchs.
A great idea. We have been planting same in the former golf course that abuts the back of our property. It has been purchased by the city as a "Flood Detention Basin". currently in a wild state. So we sow seeds and encourage plantings that will bring back threatened species.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Wow for the whale video. Not anywhere near as exciting but this picture is from this morning. We were sailboat beached camped on a remote cove on Lake Havasu Arizona and early this morning a bunch of coyotes went into a howling fest. At least one of the coyotes was probably less than 100 foot away. The howling lasted for maybe 10 or 15 minutes. I took a picture of my dog INSIDE the boat (and yes.. under the covers :biggrin:) in the middle of all the howling thinking he would have a pretty nervous look on his face but this is how the picture turned out..
dog2.jpg

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
The picture makes him look like he's asleep but those ears look wide awake!