Nasty Stuff inside my boat.

Apr 23, 2013
Catalina 22 nashville
so my boat sat for probably 4 or 5 years and the last 2 with about a foot and half of water inside. It looked like a pool that had sat that way for a while inside. complete with scum line after I pumped it out. Here's the problem. I've cleaned it with bleach, clr, elbow grease and a SOS pad, and nothing I try gets the nasty off. it seems to have gone down into the fiberglass. Only thing I can think of is to pump water back into it to the line and add about a gallon of bleach and let it sit to see if that gets it.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Bleach won't get it and neither will products like CLR 'cuz it's organic. Try a strong degreaser detergent. Wet the area, then spray it on full strength (I use a garden pump sprayer jug for projects like this)...wait about 10 minutes, then blast it off with a high pressure hose nozzle...or better yet, a power washer (If you don't have one, get one...they're not expensive from big box stores and highly useful for a lot of projects 'cuz it gets into places you can't reach by hand). If that doesn't remove it, it's become a permanent stain IN the fiberglass, not just on it. Painting the bilge after it's completely dried out may be the only solution.

--Peggie

Apr 23, 2013
Catalina 22 nashville
looks like the CLR/Bleach combo is working, albeit very slowly, as in a week. looks like it's some kinda mold that set into the fiberglass.

Apr 23, 2013
Catalina 22 nashville
Yes, it doesn't take long before I get out of there and let it do its job. CLR, then a little bleach and run.