NASTY Fuel Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Two years ago, they (EPA) closed my fuel dock. Since then, I have been bringing in fuel from gas stations six gallons at a time. In California, vehicles must use ultra-low sulfur diesel. So, I never had water or gunk in my primary filter ever in the 11 years I had owned the boat by then and in 1300 hours I had put on. In 2010, the primary filter was due and I changed it. In 2011, 130 hours later, there was water and gunk. I changed it. Now, 130 hours more, big time gunk and water.

The only change is gas-station diesel. I use Stabil diesel treatment religiously. The cap gasket is fine. I can only hope the ultra-low sulfur fuel is breaking up some of the old stuff in the tank and bringing it to the filter. As to the water, I have to believe it came from the station's tanks.

Anyhow, I am going to drain off fuel from the filter much more frequently and will plan on changing out the filters yearly (and carry a spare!).

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Rick, get a "Baja" filter/funnel and pour all new fuel through it ..
http://shop.hunterowners.com/prod.php?17980 and

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=50366&subdeptNum=50396&classNum=50404
If ya don't find water in there, it is coming into the tank from rain or seawater.. Check the deck cap very carefully for tiny corroded holes.. Check the area around the vent to make sure something has not changed which might allow water to get in.
Once you've found the source, it is best to get the water inside the tank pumped out so that ya don't start an algae farm in there.

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Rick, get a "Baja" filter/funnel and pour all fuel through it ..
http://shop.hunterowners.com/prod.php?17980 and

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=50366&subdeptNum=50396&classNum=50404
If ya don't find water in there, it is coming into the tank from rain or seawater.. Check the deck cap very carefully for tiny corroded holes.. Check the area around the vent to make sure something has not changed which might allow water to get in.
Once you've found the source, it is best to get the water inside the tank pumped out so that ya don't start an algae farm in there.
Good idea! I'm definitely going to order one. The water has to be from the station's tank. The cap & vent are fine. I talked to a guy this morning who told me to go to another fuel dock to fill my jerry can rather than using gas station fuel. He's probably right, altho it's a PITA. I am going to polish the fuel and give it a big dose of biocide.

Sep 6, 2011
Don't forget the deck cap o-ring! If it hasn't been changed this year you may want to do it now. A friend of mine struggled for months trying to find the issue and it was a simple $.05 o-ring. These should be changed annually. :). SC

timvg

May 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Long Beach, CA
Even though we are in Alamitos Bay (which still has fuel), we often use our 5 gallon jugs and just pick it up at the fuel dock and then add it to our tank. Seems like most of the time we head out for a few days, it's before the fuel dock is open, so we top our tanks off earlier in the week.

We try to always user their fuel, as whatever they do to it, we haven't had any clogged filters. Just change them once a year.

timvg

May 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Long Beach, CA
One more note: We did have our tank professionally cleaned about 3 years ago, just as a precaution, since we hadn't had any previous fuel problems. The "red" muck that they got out of the tank was a bit eye-opening.

Nov 29, 2011
none none 39.23N 88.51W
Highly recommend

That if you use your boat much at all, to carry more than one spare filter. One bad load of fuel can easily clog more than one filter. Two or three spares is not overly expensive. Once you have them, you just have to buy singles as you replace one.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Needless to say, Steve, I have been considering just such a mod.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Have you been also using a biocide like Biobor JR or Killem along the way? Your clogged filters would suggest that you have algae growing in your tank. The Stabil absorbs water but doesn't kill the algae. I always put a bit of biocide in when buying fuel.

If that is the problem, give the tank a heavy dose of the biocide as you plan and buy a bunch of filters. Go out the next day and bounce the boat around in a sea while under power to shake up the tank and get the dead stuff to fall off the tank walls. Then polish. I once had a friend who went through four filters in one afternoon doing this. (while no fun, it's much better than doing the same thing at night on a lee shore)

Or - hire a professional tank cleaner.

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.