"nanny cam" or outdoor webcam on board

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
Hey folks,
Question; we live 2 1/2 hours from our marina and have kicked around the idea of installing a weather proof web cam on outside of the boat. Would be nice to "check in" once in a while. Our marina has pretty decent wifi. Any input would be appreciated, especially if you've done this and would do anything differently.

Thanks!!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
To be considerate of bandwidth, be sure to get one that only streams data when you are viewing it.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Dont forget its public wifi so it can be easily hacked. All the way back to your phone, router or computer.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
To be considerate of bandwidth, be sure to get one that only streams data when you are viewing it.
I have 2 Foscams that only stream when connected and I think cost me about $70/each. They were very easy to set up and I have complete control via apps using Windows, iOS or Android devices. One of the cams is inside the boat not only for security purposes but also so I can view the inside temperature, power panel and the like. The 2nd is located outside again for security purposes but also so I can view the current weather and general state of rain/snow/wind on my tarp in the winter. Neither camera is weatherproof as such. The inside cam not needing to be and the outside cam sits under the dodger/bimini. It is nice to check in from anywhere in the world where I have access to the web but they also individually send email if a motion or sound alarm is detected. Both of these alarms are configurable to the nth degree. For the price and peace of mind I totally recommend having one or more located on your boat.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Take a look at the Ring (same people who make the Ring doorbell) outdoor security camera. Motion activated, links to an app on your phone using either cellular data or wifi. Hard wired, battery or solar panel version available. A little pricy, but worth it IMO. You should be able to find retailers who discount it.
https://shop.ring.com/collections/security-cams

I just found a review of the solar version here:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/smart-home-reviews/ring-spotlight-cam-solar-review/
With a very good price at the top of the page.

Last edited: