Name says it all!

May 3, 2014
Bayliner Buchaneer 27 Clear Lake
Good morning! I just want too apologize up front. You see I saw an add in Craigslist for a deal to good to be true, but it was true. So I am now the owner of a 27 ft Buchaneer. I have never owned a boat and bless her heart she sat for 3 years untouched. She is a hot mess. Mold and filth and bugs. She will be a labor of love to get her back to where she deserves to be. So, I will probably be bombarding you all with questions. My boyfriend has owned sailboats but never in this condition. Wish me luck!!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Welcome.....no apologies necessary you are in good company as there are a lot on here wearing the same tee shirt ....there are no stupid questions......and i am sure that some one will have an answer...just hold your purse tight and weigh out the answers ...if you need used parts i see you are in the Houston area there is a place NW of the Bush airport call miracle auto parts that you may find helpful..they have lots of used boat parts....

Oh and good luck

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Good luck! I hope you are ready to get your hands dirty. If you are a contortionist, it will be helpful as you tackle unusual projects in tight spaces!

May 3, 2014
Welcome.....no apologies necessary you are in good company as there are a lot on here wearing the same tee shirt ....there are no stupid questions......and i am sure that some one will have an answer...just hold your purse tight and weigh out the answers ...if you need used parts i see you are in the Houston area there is a place NW of the Bush airport call miracle auto parts that you may find helpful..they have lots of used boat parts....

Oh and good luck
Thanks for the tip! She is also in a marina right next to several used boat supply stores on fm 2094. Hardest part is going to be finding someone to redo the woodwork they let rot. And getting rid of the mold. Just an hour on her yesterday cleaning and neither one of us can breathe today. Gotta buy some masks for the next go around.

May 3, 2014
Good luck! I hope you are ready to get your hands dirty. If you are a contortionist, it will be helpful as you tackle unusual projects in tight spaces!
I am just a tad ocd so it will sparkle in no time!

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter H340 Michigan City
Welcome I read in Practical Sailor that Borax is good for getting rid of mold. If you leave a clean film (don't rinse) the Borax will actually inhibit the mold colony from re-growing something bleach will not do. Just my two cents for now.

May 3, 2014
Welcome I read in Practical Sailor that Borax is good for getting rid of mold. If you leave a clean film (don't rinse) the Borax will actually inhibit the mold colony from re-growing something bleach will not do. Just my two cents for now.
I will try anything! Thanks!

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Good morning! I just want too apologize up front. You see I saw an add in Craigslist for a deal to good to be true, but it was true. So I am now the owner of a 27 ft Buchaneer. I have never owned a boat and bless her heart she sat for 3 years untouched. She is a hot mess. Mold and filth and bugs. She will be a labor of love to get her back to where she deserves to be. So, I will probably be bombarding you all with questions. My boyfriend has owned sailboats but never in this condition. Wish me luck!!
Don't pay anyone anything until you try it yourself. You need to start by using this book: "This Old Boat" by Don Casey.

Attachments

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

welcome to the forum... you will enjoy your boat... as it was said before, get your hand in there and get to work... you will enjoy your boat much more, if you do the work yourself... if there is something you don't know, ask... there is a world of experience and knowledge here... remember, seek and you will learn....

have fun with your boat...

sincerely
Jess

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Welcome to the madness. I'm down just south of you on Matagorda Bay. I saw one comment you made I seriously want to re-inforce. DON'T be sanding, or scrubbing mold, or bare wood, without a good mask. I much prefer the kind with two elastics, and the exhaust valve.

Sailorman there in Kemah is an excellent place for used gear

May 3, 2014
Welcome to the madness. I'm down just south of you on Matagorda Bay. I saw one comment you made I seriously want to re-inforce. DON'T be sanding, or scrubbing mold, or bare wood, without a good mask. I much prefer the kind with two elastics, and the exhaust valve.

Sailorman there in Kemah is an excellent place for used gear
I plan on it for sure. Only one hour in there and I woke coughing terribly. Just dropped in a bug bomb today so it will be a couple before I get to clean. I will checkout Sailorman. Thanks!

May 3, 2014
Don't pay anyone anything until you try it yourself. You need to start by using this book: "This Old Boat" by Don Casey.
I will look for it. Right now I am studying a sailboat 101 kind of book. Lol! That way I don't have to say this thingy and that whatchacallit

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Ah the memories

I owned a US27 for about 7 years which is the predecessor to the Buccaneer. It was actually a very good boat. During Hurricane Isabel when our floating docks got lifted off the poles she fought the dock and won (just a little chipping of gelcoat on the bow.

Mold was a problem as that boat had sat for 10 years with water up about a foot over the floorboards. We had grass growing on one of the cushions. :D I always thought it would be a good idea to rip out all the interior and re-do it with something that made more sense. Is your BF handy at all in the wood shop? There a lot of possibilities with the hull.

One thing to remember on those is the decks tend to get spongy and you may get some rotting in the shelf that holds the battery on the starboard side. Also all of the hatches we cheap plastic crap - if that sailorman in Kemah is close you may want to keep an eye out for replacements.

May 3, 2014
I owned a US27 for about 7 years which is the predecessor to the Buccaneer. It was actually a very good boat. During Hurricane Isabel when our floating docks got lifted off the poles she fought the dock and won (just a little chipping of gelcoat on the bow.

Mold was a problem as that boat had sat for 10 years with water up about a foot over the floorboards. We had grass growing on one of the cushions. :D I always thought it would be a good idea to rip out all the interior and re-do it with something that made more sense. Is your BF handy at all in the wood shop? There a lot of possibilities with the hull.

One thing to remember on those is the decks tend to get spongy and you may get some rotting in the shelf that holds the battery on the starboard side. Also all of the hatches we cheap plastic crap - if that sailorman in Kemah is close you may want to keep an eye out for replacements.
I haven't seen his handyman skills but he says he is. There are also a couple of resale places in Kemah also. I went to one today but got overwhelmed by my ignorance.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you can learn a lot from the marine catalogs both on line and printed ones ...west Marine,Defender,jamestown distributors.....and so on......don't let the project overwhelm you...prioritize the work and then do a lot of small jobs along and soon it will start to come together as you look back...patience is your friend along with the people here on this site...all these folks want you to win ...thats what i so nice about this site.....

May 3, 2014
you can learn a lot from the marine catalogs both on line and printed ones ...west Marine,Defender,jamestown distributors.....and so on......don't let the project overwhelm you...prioritize the work and then do a lot of small jobs along and soon it will start to come together as you look back...patience is your friend along with the people here on this site...all these folks want you to win ...thats what i so nice about this site.....
I honestly think the biggest job will be all the interior wood. The seat and bunk are all cheap plywood. Some exterior needs to be replaced like the slide door is plywood. I need to find the good stuff and redo all that. Cabinets have just been repainted over and over. I am wondering if there is a nice wood under all that.