Mystic..... where to stay

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello all,

On a nice week sail with wife and thinking about stopping at mystic for Thursday and Friday night. Haven’t been to since was kid and want to stay at a convenient place to restaurants, aquarium and museums. Was looking and see Marina’s on both sides of river as well as on mason island...... not looking to hike a couple miles every time we want to see something.

Thanks!

Greg

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Mystic seaport museum has dockage - but call ahead to see if available. Also, if you are at one of the marinas south of the bridge the seaport and some of the restaurants on the water have dinghy dockage.
Ram Island Yacht Club offers free dockage to reciprocal clubs, but the dinghy ride will be a little longer.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Brewer's is close to town. And I think there is another marina next to it which I don't remember the name of. Walking distance for all but the aquarium and Old Mystic Village, which I would avoid anyway. They are south of the bascule bridge. We often stayed at Mystic Shipyard, which is south of the bridges. We would dink up to the attractions, which worked very well. There is also a anchorage off the Seaport. It is small but usable.
If you get the Mystic Seaport slips by the work shed it will be a shorter walk to town. You will probable dock bow in and the afternoon sun will roast you in the cockpit.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
There's an A1 anchorage just off Mystic Seaport. Very well protected and picturesque. It's just past the museums docks and there's water for several boats.

You'll have to buy tickets to the grounds(which are included with dockage-hence the high rate per foot), but the anchorage is reserved with that in mind. Close dinghy dock.

It's a great experience either way, you'll be glad you did.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
We have tied up in the seaport twice. It's a very special experience. Rate includes seaport admission for you and all guests arriving on your boat. You can walk around the seaport grounds after it's closed to the public.
$3.25/ft.
Info here:
https://www.mysticseaport.org/visit/plan-your-visit/mystic-seaport-marina/
It is so cool to be locked on the museum grounds. You get a little card for gate access so you can come and go as you please. It's a little trendy in price but includes admission. I think it's the only way to go. We had a great time every time we visited.

pfaffk

Mar 4, 2011
Hunter 290 Haverstraw
We have stayed at both Brewers and Mystic shipyard west and both are very long walks to town or to the Seaport, you would need to take a cab. I have never stayed a the Seaport, but all of their docks not floating, also the finger docks by the woodwork shop are very short so you would most likely have to back in. If you stay at the Seaport you would still have to dingy to town to eat

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have never stayed a the Seaport, but all of their docks not floating, also the finger docks by the woodwork shop are very short so you would most likely have to back in. /QUOTE]
I don't think any of the Seaport docks are floating or I least I can't remember any. Backing in the finger docks is difficult due to the current there.
BTW, if you can rent a rowboat, or Beatle Cat at the small boat rental shop you can have a great time sailing or rowing around the harbor. It is not expensive and makes the Seaport experience active rather than passive. And, I think the Mayflower restoration is underway so you'll want to check that out. And there's John's - an Irish bar near the bascule bridge with a pool table and cold beer. I could go on.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
So staying at seaport..... sounds real nice plus 2 nights for the price of one!
Love sailing after Labor Day!

A1C558A0-BD07-4AD3-9524-C82082F89255.jpeg
Watch Hill......
Thanks for the input!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
We have stayed at both Brewers and Mystic shipyard west and both are very long walks to town or to the Seaport, you would need to take a cab. I have never stayed a the Seaport, but all of their docks not floating, also the finger docks by the woodwork shop are very short so you would most likely have to back in. If you stay at the Seaport you would still have to dingy to town to eat
Most of the docks are fixed. The museum supplied us with long fender boards (12' planks). There are a few restaurants in town. We walked, 10 minutes or so, it's just a few blocks.

There is water and power at the museum docks. We were tied up at the museum docks for 3 nights in August. Tidal range is minimal but it's a big step at LW. The anchorage is in the background.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice naming @TomY Great picture... I think this is the first time I have seen both the boat and the dinghy together. Very clever. I like it.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
As night falls and the crowds leave, it's a magical experience to find yourself in a 19th century whaling village. We eat on the boat and spend the evening strolling the quiet - almost ghostly - streets and docks.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Stayed at Brewers about. 10 years ago living on LI and walked and dinghy into town and seaport
and we loved it so much would go back at least once a year.
Also enjoyed cruising up other rivers along coast Ct. and so much history and loved cruising
Sept. and most years vacation in Sept. most places as retired is best time.
Nick

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
We stayed at the museum... it was a great time and we will surely return. Was fascinating walking around he village seeing how they lived and worked. The boats on site were magnificent

77F82C68-7241-49F1-B3EE-8F43063ED916.jpeg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
They let you stay at the museum? :biggrin:

Is there still a Mystic Pizza like the Julia Roberts movie? I think I read it was filmed nearby.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
@Justin_NSA, yes they let you stay on the museum grounds while docked there. And yes mystic pizza is still there just like in the movie.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
@Justin_NSA, yes they let you stay on the museum grounds while docked there. And yes mystic pizza is still there just like in the movie.
Cool. I envy you all that have interesting destinations to sail to. We are on a reservoir and just sail back and forth. Racing is the most exciting action on the water here. Unless you count dodging jet skis

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
They let you stay at the museum? :biggrin:

Is there still a Mystic Pizza like the Julia Roberts movie? I think I read it was filmed nearby.
Yes can stay on site...... get to wander around at night till your heart is content. Very cool place indeed!

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Justin, we stayed at a fabulous little place....Charlie's Mystic Harbor Inn.....quite a few years ago....we have
nearly enough memories to last a lifetime....it's a great place to stay ...!!1 may have been rebranded by now..
followed the signs from Rte. 1-A...they had a great bluegrass band playing outside when we were there....Patrick...going out to winterize a few items this morning......just to be on the safe side.....