Mystery Number on Hull

Apr 15, 2007
Catalina 27 Tall Rig Lake Wabamum, AB, Canada
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on numbers I recently discovered on the hull inside my 1987 Catalina 27 Tall Rig. The number is 909803. The number is in large black letters, each about 5" tall, on the port side hull inside the storage below my cabin bench. They look like numbers that would have been fixed at time of hull completion. They are not any part of my HIN. They had been hidden for years by a large air-conditioning hose I recently moved. Cheers.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on numbers I recently discovered on the hull inside my 1987 Catalina 27 Tall Rig. The number is 909803. The number is in large black letters, each about 5" tall, on the port side hull inside the storage below my cabin bench. They look like numbers that would have been fixed at time of hull completion. They are not any part of my HIN. They had been hidden for years by a large air-conditioning hose I recently moved. Cheers.
I ran your numbers on the site Victor posted. Nothing came up. Was probably taken out of documentation at some point. Also ran mine and it came up with my boat, so site is working OK.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Sorry should have provided the site for searching by numbers not name: https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByID.html

here is what I found:

Coast Guard Vessel Documentation
Data found in historical database no longer in Documentation.
Vessel Name: EXTRAVAGANCE USCG Doc. No.: 909803
Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: *
Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: *
Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: CTYL6350H687
Ship Builder: * Year Built: *

Length (ft.): 26.8
Hailing Port: PALATINE, IL Hull Depth (ft.): 4.8
Owner: Hull Breadth (ft.): 8.8
Gross Tonnage: 5
Net Tonnage: 5
Documentation Issuance Date: * Documentation Expiration Date: *
Previous Vessel Names: AU NATURELLE
Previous Vessel Owners:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes. That is the Documentation number for a CG documented boat.
Barry. The number is required to be permanently affixed to the hull.
Think of it as an international paper trail title like the VIN on your auto.
If you think you will be traveling out of the country with the boat is is a nice way to register the boat. While most states have a boat title system, not all of them are the same and sometimes boat titles in the state system get mixed up. It is the opportunity for an unsuspecting boat buyer to buy a boat that has a lien against the boat as the previous owner may not have paid all of his bill.

You can imagine the importance of this for a commercial boat. The CG has extended this service to pleasure boats of a minimum size.

Apr 15, 2007
Catalina 27 Tall Rig Lake Wabamum, AB, Canada
Wow - thank you to everyone for helping me figure these numbers out and so quickly. The boat was bought in the USA and hauled up to a lake in Canada. Nice having this puzzle figured out. Merci Bien!